Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Notified my flight was canceled but it was not canceled

jntway
Explorer C

Has anyone ever received an email canceling a flight only to find out the flight left as scheduled and it was the next leg of the flight that was canceled?  I drove 2 hours to Chicago Midway, received an email stating my flight from Midway to Jacksonville was canceled but then after I rescheduled for another day I discovered it was the 2nd leg of the flight from Jacksonville to Baltimore that was canceled.  I don’t understand why that was not specified in the original cancellation email. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Notified my flight was canceled but it was not canceled

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Because it is one ticket with the two cities, they don't want you to get to Jacksonville and be stuck there - the whole itinerary would be canceled if any one leg was canceled.

You should have / may have had the option to change to a different MDW - BWI flight combination on the same day, if seats were available?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jntway
Explorer C

Jacksonville was my final destination, I live there.  I did not have a ticket to continue on to Baltimore.  My ticket was MDW to Jax, not MDW to Baltimore.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jntway wrote:

Jacksonville was my final destination, I live there.  I did not have a ticket to continue on to Baltimore.  My ticket was MDW to Jax, not MDW to Baltimore.  

Hello.

I suspect that something got messed up in the automated (I presume it's automated) notifiction system. I've had flights cancelled when the second leg (that I really was on) of my flight was cancelled, but never when a second leg (of a flight I WAS NOT ON) was cancelled.

It sounds like you were pretty badbly inconcenienced with a  2 hour dirve drive to and a 2 hour drive from Midway - all for naught.  Then you'll have another trip to Midway for your rescheduled flight. That doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

I d on't know whether the company would offer any compensation for your trouble.  It might be worth asking the quetion. Also they might be able to explain what happened.

You can contact SW by phone, twiter or e-mail. Here's how: 

Hope you have success.

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US