Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

On Flight Drink Service

xxmelissaruiz
Explorer C

I have a question, are we allowed to take our drinks (provided by Southwest) off the plane once it has landed? (By drinks I mean orange juice, hot chocolate, etc. in the case that we didn’t get to finish them during the flight). 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: On Flight Drink Service

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@xxmelissaruiz,

I am not sure if there is an official rule but I would expect the flight attendants to pick everything up.  Landings can be bumpy and if my neighbor has hot coffee, I don’t want it to end up all over me.  Even when people board and carry on liquids, they typically have a lid on it.  I would suggest that you bring an empty water bottle with you and add your on board drink to that bottle if you wanted to carry it off.

Now that I am thinking about it, there probably is an official rule.  Take offs and landings can have more turbulence and the FAA does not want things flying around inside the plane.  That is the reason laptops  and bags have to be securely stowed under the seat in front of you and not blocking the area around the feet.

bec102896
Aviator A

They say they are required to pick up all service items and if it is sitting on your tray table they will usually make you throw it away if they see it when saying to put your tray table up when it is the final decent. although I had a unopened can of Dr.Pepper I put in my back pack and took it off the plane without any problems a couple of days a go I do it with snacks a lot too in case I get hungry on a layover or some other time during the day. 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@xxmelissaruiz wrote:

I have a question, are we allowed to take our drinks (provided by Southwest) off the plane once it has landed? (By drinks I mean orange juice, hot chocolate, etc. in the case that we didn’t get to finish them during the flight). 

Since the policy is to collect all service items, I don't know if Southwest will have a separate policy about drinks since you normally wouldn't have any left.

Speculation that if you have the little clear cup as you deplane the FA will ask you to despit it in the trash bag.

If a soft drink or juice ended up in your personal to-go cup I don't see major objections. Alcohol would be restricted in most places that you can't carry it around, so that is against the rules even in your own cup, or actually you aren't supposed to take the little bottles off either. The FA will prevent this by not giving you the bottle cap instead you get the stir stick in there.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.