Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Oversized Carry On?

Aubrav
Explorer C

I read the carry on limits to make sure my bag fell within the 24” height limit, which it did. But I was singled out for having an oversized bag by the flight attendant. She kind of made a spectacle out of it (I’ve contacted Southwest) but I was wondering what the normal procedure is for a flight attendant to determine if a bag is oversized.

She made me (and the entire line) stop while she got her bag from a random overhead bin and compared mine to hers, which were actually the same size, and determined that mine “looks a little taller” so she had to check it. So right in front of the plane I had to open my bag, get my laptop out which wasn’t in a bag, only a thin sleeve, and then she made me raise my hand and swear under oath  loudly in front of EVERYONE that I would never take the bag as a carry on again.

So even if someone has an oversized bag, is this normal? Do they make an example out of everyone? It probably added at least 5 minutes to the boarding time. 

To to add insult to injury she then asked me to raise my hand after everyone had boarded so she could bring me my luggage ticket and then said my laptop had to go on the floor and could not go in the seatback pocket in front of me.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Oversized Carry On?

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Sounds like just another FA on a power trip. Hopefully, but not likely, SW will do something about it other than just tossing you a free drink voucher.

jtminneapolis
Explorer C

Yea, I am a companion flyer, and have been a frequent flyer of SWA for many years.

I have watched the FA get less and less customer friendly and SWA lose much of its heart that made them different for so many years.  

Aubrav
Explorer C

Thanks for your input. It's just so strange because Southwest flight attendants are usually the nicest.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We know that attitude is everything, and we're deeply sorry if we've let any of you down. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but we always encourage Customers to reach out to us via our official channels in the steps below. Thanks!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager