Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

PRIORITY CARD UPGRADED BOARDING QUESTION

Lynncos
Explorer B

I am a long time SW flyer but have no experience with Boarding upgrades or Early Bird Check ins!

I have a flight booked next week.  I just upgraded to the Priority Card. I would like to use one of the 4 upgraded boardings.

Not sure of the procedure.....do I still go online to obtain a boarding position 24 hrs before the flight?  And to obtain the boarding upgrade, do I go to the gate to purchase it using my Priority Card?  Or can I just click on the Early Bird check in prior to my flight?  

Also, my flight is a connecting flight......would that use TWO upgrades, or just one?

Can I choose to upgrade on only ONE of the legs of the flight?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: PRIORITY CARD UPGRADED BOARDING QUESTION

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution
@Lynncos wrote:

I have a flight booked next week.  I just upgraded to the Priority Card. I would like to use one of the 4 upgraded boardings.

Not sure of the procedure.....do I still go online to obtain a boarding position 24 hrs before the flight?

Yes - it is possible there won't be upgraded boarding (A1-A15) available when you arrive at the gate, so you should take every action that you normally would to get a good boarding position.

@Lynncos wrote:

And to obtain the boarding upgrade, do I go to the gate to purchase it using my Priority Card?  Or can I just click on the Early Bird check in prior to my flight?  

You'll go to the gate to purchase - this is totally separate from Early-Bird Check In, this is to move up to A1-A15 spots, if they are available, where EBCI checks you in 36-hours prior and you get a variable position somewhere after the A-listers who are also checked in at 36 hours.

I believe you can "always" purchase EBCI. Upgraded boarding is available when there are extra Business Select positions available, and perhaps some other variables. The cost varies on the flight.

@Lynncos wrote:

Also, my flight is a connecting flight......would that use TWO upgrades, or just one?

Can I choose to upgrade on only ONE of the legs of the flight?

Upgraded boarding will be to move to A1-A15 at the gate - it will only apply to the current leg, not the next leg since that boarding position is completely separate. You could do it for both using two upgrades, or only choose one, and depending if it was available and what the price was for each.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: PRIORITY CARD UPGRADED BOARDING QUESTION

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

*always = not if you are A-list or A-list preferred, not if you are less than 36 hours from the flight, not if you are business select, not child fare, not unacompanied minors. Possibly military fare. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.