Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Painting lost on plane

cbuness
Explorer C

I was hand carrying my daughter's oil painting on thick paper -- the entire canvas is of white cap ocean waves. I put it down to get down my bag and forgot it on or under the seat. I am devasted -- it is precious to me. She signed it "Areta '17" in the lower right corner. I was on a flight on April 15, 2018 from SJC to PHX no 6479 that stopped in SAN. IMG_2822.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Painting lost on plane

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry you left your daughters painting on the plane 

have you filed a lost item report with southwest? If not I would do that online and you could also call the airport where you landed in case a flight attendant saw it and turned it in to the gate agent.

hope you get the painting back

Blake 

cbuness
Explorer C

Thanks! I did file a report. I was on a flight on April 15, 2018 from SJC to PHX no 6479 that stopped in SAN. 

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

Were you able to recover the painting?

cbuness
Explorer C

No, sadly I have not. I emailed the person who is head of lost and found for SW and told him I would fly to Alabama or wherever the main lost and found is to personally look for it. But I have not heard back yet. I just do not understand how it could disappear. I cannot imagine someone threw it away. 

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I'm so sorry to hear that. It really is a beautiful painting and I would hate to think it was simply thrown away.

I'm guessing that Southwest aircraft go through 4 or 5 airports every day. Hopefully the painting is sitting in the lost and found area of one of the airports your aircraft went through.

cbuness
Explorer C

Thanks for the suggestions. I did both of these.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I'm no expert but I believe the painting is an example of Impressionism. Very beautiful!

I hope the painting is found and returned safely to you but, in the mean time, I'll keep my eyes open to see if it pops up at the Art Institute of Chicago.