Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Permission to access your site denied

Spleez
Explorer C

The problem, I think, is just lazy security for the site.  There are ways to impliment smart "bot defenses" that analyze the different kinds of automated attacks to e-commerce sites (like credential stuffing, price scraping, and a multitude of others).  It takes time, but these defenses are extremely successful, if you take the time to do it.

Or, you do with Southwest does:  sweeping blacklist blocks of IP address from where these attacks >might< originate.  Unfortunately, that means that people who use VPNs to protect their connections will get access denied (my own Access Denied error brought me here).  Additionally, international people that might want to use Southwest while visiting the US will also be denied.  I use StrongVPN and have to turn it off every time I want to access the site.  So, I have to lower MY protection to use this site...yeah, fantastic work Southwest.

This won't go anywhere, but I'll post my Access Denied error as well.  With status matching all over the place these days, I may just take my A-List Preferred + Companion Pass level and go elsewhere.  Why should I have to lower MY protection to use a website?  Oh, and no, "using the mobile app" is NOT an appropriate solution to this.

Anyway, here's the error:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.4703d417.1535646674.85226e1

Dashadeaux
Explorer C

Thank You Spleeze!!!

I too am unable to visit the southwest site with my VPN enabled...

You analysis is spot on.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Dashadeaux wrote:

Thank You Spleeze!!!

I too am unable to visit the southwest site with my VPN enabled...

You analysis is spot on.

I suspect that you are not in the US -- right?

Another option would be to use the Southwest app on your cell phone IN CELL DATA MODE as opposd to WiFi mode.

Based on what others have said, if a notebook/tablet/desktop conecting to the internet via ISP won't connect to southwest.com ,then a cell conected in the same way is also unlikely to work, but it the cell is connected to a cell data source,the  connection may be possible.

Search within this forum and you'll see lots of discussion on your topic.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@Dashadeaux

If you are outside of the U.S., there is no way you can connect the website outside of it. I have heard someone had the similar expeience too also. 

audymaccop
Explorer C

@Krueger90 wrote:

Past few days can not sign into southwest.  Have before and can visit other sites but get message You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.5f41f648.1514902281.1a6d3e46.  Called customer service twice and told they can't help over the phone.  Tried website on cell phone and same message.  Trying to book flight for mother but do not want to do over phone.  Any suggestions as can't get to their email unless signed in...thank you

Has this issue been tended to? Despite everything I can't get to Southwest's site to alter my appointments. I am at present abroad and can't bring in.

michelepelkonen
Explorer C

It's still an issue. 

I booked over the phone (Skype, actually) for flights within the US, but I can't access the site to print out the flight information or more. I can only hope that I can get 'paperwork' when I land in the States as my SW flight is also a connecting flight. Oh well. I'll just have to book with someone else next time.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@michelepelkonen wrote:

It's still an issue. 

I booked over the phone (Skype, actually) for flights within the US, but I can't access the site to print out the flight information or more. I can only hope that I can get 'paperwork' when I land in the States as my SW flight is also a connecting flight. Oh well. I'll just have to book with someone else next time.

My understanding of the situation is that there is cost to the airline for having the site available

to countries not served by the airline. Apparently, the expectation is that the incremental revenue earned from those places does not justify the incremental cost of making the website available.

So, the choices are to use a US based VPN, or to use your cell phone via Cell data, NOT WI-FI.

Remember the airline sends an e-mail every time you make/change/cancel a reservation.  That e-mail should be the paperwork you seek.

antevalente
Explorer C

In effect they aren't blocking "countries", they are blocking people. In 2019 we are floating all over and corporate virtual WANs that make you appear to be somewhere totally else isn't uncommon. One should believe that actively travelling people would be important target customers for an airline or what?

I have never heard about any other US company intentionally blocking international customers by IP. Yes, you have Netflix and such that are bound by region rights in contracts, and you have some services requiring a US social security number, and providers not shipping goods internationally. Thats different, and also they dont block your IP, they just state that they cannot serve you based on their terms.

I really dont understand how it would be any higher cost of making the website available to everyone. If they dont serve other than US citizens it would be easy to just state that they cannot serve you based on their terms (like not having a US sosial security number etc.). They could do that without blocking US citizens abroad.

With that said, I also dont understand what would be the cost driver of booking ie. a Europen citizen over a US citizen. Rules and regulations is the same given that the flight is US domestic, and they accept international travellers booked through 3rd party travel agencies. Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Paypal, ApplePay... is all global standards for payment. That leaves only the booking process itself - so what would be the big obstacle here? Wrong format for address and phone fields?

I honostly dont believe in the cost/profit explanation. Realistically they are probably rather loosing a lot of customers and saving next to nothing. I believe that what they need to do is to have someone take a very good look at their cyber security strategy. I wonder if top management is aware what's going on at all? Probably not.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@antevalente wrote:

I have never heard about any other US company intentionally blocking international customers by IP. Yes, you have Netflix and such that are bound by region rights in contracts, and you have some services requiring a US social security number, and providers not shipping goods internationally. Thats different, and also they dont block your IP, they just state that they cannot serve you based on their terms.

I really dont understand how it would be any higher cost of making the website available to everyone. If they dont serve other than US citizens it would be easy to just state that they cannot serve you based on their terms (like not having a US sosial security number etc.). They could do that without blocking US citizens abroad.

With that said, I also dont understand what would be the cost driver of booking ie. a Europen citizen over a US citizen. Rules and regulations is the same given that the flight is US domestic, and they accept international travellers booked through 3rd party travel agencies. Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Paypal, ApplePay... is all global standards for payment. That leaves only the booking process itself - so what would be the big obstacle here? Wrong format for address and phone fields?

There must be some complication that they are getting in terms of cyber traffic that causes them to block it out. I'm sure the airline is well aware of potential revenue sources and whatever indirect penalty they have from leaving the IP addresses open seems to make sense to them. Obviously not serving Europe and Asia directly with flights would make blocking the IP addresses feasible since it may be some minor amount of customers trying to use the service compared to the millions of domestic passengers each year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@antevalente

for some apparently reason why the SWA block the ip for international is becuse for some security reasons. You know how the hacker are doing one of these day and I firmly believe that the SWA are doing to protects the cyber threats such as hijacking of SWA customers' accounts and so on. 

Lately there has been alot of breaches with the companies and SWA are doing efforts protecting their customers' vital valuables.