Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Permission to access your site denied

user1234
Explorer C

I love flying south west but this is a terrible answer. I'm out of the country and cannot call from a phone because I don't have reception/service abroad and thats something they didn't seem to think about. I'd like to book a flight for an upcoming trip back home but I guess I will have to choose another airline because I cannot access your site AND I cannot call customer service. I think this is causing you to lose business and I'd love to see you guys actually fix it sometime soon

dfwskier
Aviator A

@user1234 wrote:

I love flying south west but this is a terrible answer. I'm out of the country and cannot call from a phone because I don't have reception/service abroad and thats something they didn't seem to think about. I'd like to book a flight for an upcoming trip back home but I guess I will have to choose another airline because I cannot access your site AND I cannot call customer service. I think this is causing you to lose business and I'd love to see you guys actually fix it sometime soon

Others have reported success in reaching the airline via the app in CELL DATA MODE -- not wifi.

Another would be via a US based VPN

MR1563
Explorer C

Yes for $0.25 a minute!! I’m an American who happens to be abroad and need to book a flight for next week due to an emergency and am just now finding out that you can’t access the site from the UK? What the hell is that! What age do you live in and why should I have to spend loads on phone charges because your site doesn’t work!? FIX IT! The UK is not Russia and blocking us isn’t going to keep you from getting hacked, a better security system would! Or if you are going to insist on this absurdity then provide a toll free number for those booking from outside the US! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@MR1563 several possible workarounds have been mentioned in this thread, including using another airline if that's your preferred option. Southwest doesn't appear to have any desire to remove the blocks currently in place. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MR1563 wrote:

Yes for $0.25 a minute!! I’m an American who happens to be abroad and need to book a flight for next week due to an emergency and am just now finding out that you can’t access the site from the UK? What the hell is that! What age do you live in and why should I have to spend loads on phone charges because your site doesn’t work!? FIX IT! The UK is not Russia and blocking us isn’t going to keep you from getting hacked, a better security system would! Or if you are going to insist on this absurdity then provide a toll free number for those booking from outside the US! 

This has been an issue for years, and is not likely to hange. Apparently the airline has evaluated the situation and has determined that the cost of providing web access in cerain countries exceeds the reveneu/profit earned by people buying tickets in those countries. Translated: Southwest would lose money.

Options that have worked for others are (1) use of a US based VPN an (2) use of the Southwest app in CELL DATA mode -- not wi-fi.

Good luck

trekkienor
Explorer C

This is very strange. Do you really want the business of the expat community? I know of no other airline that blocks access to potential customers from anywhere.  I can easily access the websites of Spirit Air, Jetblue, Allegiant Air, Frontier Airlines, and SunCountry Airlines here in Norway.  Why can't I access SWA?  You make it seem like this is something  that you do not know how to make happen, yet if I want to book a vacation with SWA, I can easily access your Southwest Airlines Vacation website.  Please explain to me why you think your airline wants me to spend an inordinate amount of time on the telephone, talking with one of your already busy agents, asking them about various options of flights/dates/times/destinations/prices etc only to have to go through the same process again after consulting with family. Do you have so much business that you think that the business of expats such as myself is not worth allowing us access to your website? It appears that it's worthwhile if we want to purchase a vacation package,. So why won't you allow us access?

Duggameister
Explorer C

I am a loyal long time SW flyer and this answer is totally unacceptable. It is 2/17/19 and I just read posts with this same issue going back to January 2018.  I am in Punta Cana and can’t access SW. We flew here direct and are flying home to MD direct. How can we not access your site? 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Duggameister,

I'm so sorry about the difficulty accessing our website - I know that's frustrating. We have identified the access issue, and our teams are focused on implementing a solution. In the meantime, please call our Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-9792 or direct message us @southwestair on Twitter for assistance. 

timdik
Explorer C

They will not solve it because they don't want international people to book SW flights. I have this problem year after year. They always say they have informed the relevant department, but I tell you that it's a policy to keep it this way. Very bad, bad service. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@timdik wrote:

They will not solve it because they don't want international people to book SW flights. I have this problem year after year. They always say they have informed the relevant department, but I tell you that it's a policy to keep it this way. Very bad, bad service. 

Sorry that you are having poblems, but why would Southwest not want interntional travelers to book SW flights? Pounds and euros and crowns  and peros are real money, and add to Southwest's revenues jsut like dollars do.