Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet Capacity --- Is This True?

RainbowMcFuzzy
Explorer C

Hello folks!

So, we booked our tickets a couple of months ago and when I called, I reserved a spot for our pet. I was incredibly worried about the pet capacity limit and our pet being turned away. However, I was relieved to be told by customer service that there was no longer a limit on how many pets could be in-cabin.

Lately however, I've been wondering if this is actually true? I've been looking around online and I've yet to see any information anywhere about this change. The website still lists the (6) pet capacity. If any of the Southwest employees that visit this board could chime in, that would be lovely.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pet Capacity --- Is This True?

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@RainbowMcFuzzy I also understand the rule to be no more than (6) pets ( which seems really high to me).  Just curious...how many pets would you like to travel with? 

Another option for you is to send a DM on Twitter to SW. They are great at quickly responding. 

Good luck, and I hope you get the answer you are looking for. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The Pet Policy language is a bit confusing. One section says 6 pets max, but another says no more than 6 carriers per flight, and Southwesst allows up to 2 pets per carrier. I think with the recent update they may have been a bit sloppy with the editing. 😉

This does not count any of the animals traveling as Assistance Animals or Emotional Support Animals, which seem to make up a much larger portion these days.

Also, Southwest indicates that there will be times that these limits will be exceeded.

Pets will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached. Six (6) pets are allowed per flight with a limit of one pet carrier per paying Customer traveling on the same flight. However, from time to time, circumstances may allow for more (or fewer) than six (6) pet carriers per scheduled flight.

The carrier may contain two (2) cats or dogs and must be of the same species per carrier.

There will be no more than six (6) scheduled pet carriers per scheduled flight. However, from time to time, circumstances may allow for more (or fewer) than six (6) pet carriers per scheduled flight.

RainbowMcFuzzy
Explorer C

We're only carrying one pet in one carrier.

I'm just worried about getting turned away since we are moving states and we can't just leave him behind.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

If you called and reserved a spot (note: I don't know anything about how that works) it sounds like you would be considered to have scheduled your pet according to the language, so if Southwest is keeping track of how many pets are reserved you should be fine?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.