Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet carrier

melyosc
Explorer C

Has anyone traveled with their dog recently?  I am traveling with mine and can't find a carrier that complies with their size requirements, specially the height of 8.5"!!!!

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Pet carrier

Irvine50
Explorer C

Let me know how you make out. I'm having the same problem. Their policy is no dog and carrier can weight more than 20lbs. My dog is 14 lbs and won't even fit in the size they provided. Makes no sense.  Thanks 

NCMagnolia
Explorer C

When I traveled with my 26 pound Maine Coon, I used this stroller. It separates and I was able to fit the carrier part under the seat in front of me. Strolling him through the airport made it so easy!

https://www.ebay.com/i/361911441574

KGuntle
Explorer C

When you took this carrier apart, did the rest of the stroller count as one carry on?  Just trying to plan ahead for my trip! 

Thanks for the link to this stroller!

vickyh61
Explorer C

Do you know the dimensions of the carrier?

triceeey7
Explorer C
are you trying to find a hard or soft shell case?

nimnose
Explorer C

So the site states that SW's pet carrier is one size yet if you dont use theirs you have to go 2" smaller? Why is that? Why can't I use a carrier the same dimensions as SW's.  below is what SW sells. 

Pet Carrier

$5800
Removable floor, easy for washing. Metal buckles, with mesh on opposite sides to allow for proper ventilation for your pet. Added padding on the carrying strap for easy carrying. Southwest logo. This is an approved Southwest pet carrier and will fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions: 17"L x 10.5"H x 10"W

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I would assume that the SW one is specifically made for their dimensions, and I would like to clarify that it is $58 and not $5800.  Seems pretty affordable to me, so I would think that would be a good way to go?

Find all the details about traveling with pets here.

These options at Chewy might also work. Worth a look.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

flyingfrankie
Explorer C

Unfortunately your assumption is wrong. The SWA pet carrier is, as the pervious comment mentioned, 2" larger (H) than their required dimensions for bringing your own carrier. 

nimnose
Explorer C

Makes no sense that they want a carrier 2" smaller if you dont buy their own carrier.  Why is that?