cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Travel Policies

Welcome to the General Travel Policy Board.
Share knowledge about Southwest’s travel
policies and learn from others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Possible bed bugs from checked luggage...?

jlp1022
New Arrival

I recently traveled (3/6/2018) on Southwest flight 2015 from OAK to BNA, then Southwest flight 1954 from BNA to CMH.  I unpacked my bags when I got home, and some clothes that weren't used on the trip I put away in my closet.  I wore some of those clothes that traveled with me on Friday (3/6/18) and woke up Saturday morning with about 8 bug bites.  My concern is, could bed bugs have been transfered from some checked luggage in the cargo hold to my luggage?  My bag had been screened by TSA in OAK, and was slightly unzipped when I picked it up from baggage claim in CMH.  Basically, I'm reaching out in hopes of finding someone else who was on these flights who might be experiencing something similar.  I did not stay in hotels while I traveled, I was at a friend's house who has had no signs/symptoms of bed bugs.  There was no obvious evidence of bugs in my luggage.  There is, so far, no actual evidence of bed bugs in/on my bed or in my home, but I know that you can't always see them.  I haven't gotten any new bites, but I've avoided my bed since Friday night.  I've taken some precautions and dried all clothes from the trip/any clothes that were hanging in my closet adjacent to clothes that traveled with me on high heat for 30 min, did the same with my blanket, comforter, pillows.  My luggage and shoes are sealed in a plastic bags with bug bombs.

SO...basically just wondering A) anyone travel on these flights have problems? B)any Southwest employees ever heard of bed bugs jumping luggage in the cargo hold? Or had complaints of bed bugs on any recent flights?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Possible bed bugs from checked luggage...?

DancingDavidE
Rising Star

I don't work for Southwest, but I've never heard of that - for one thing with your bag opened, it would have to be near another bag that was infected and also opened.

Was there anywhere else along the way or people or pets that you were near at the airport? Did you take public transit or a taxi?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse and LAS for work, A-list and CP.

jlp1022
New Arrival

I did use Uber home from the airport. I do have pets, but they are on flea prevention and I've checked them for signs of fleas and/or bite marks, so far nothing.  I've gone over this in my head so many times, I can't quite make sense of it.

After spotting so many bites I went to a minute clinic Saturday morning, and that is when I got the idea of bed bugs, suggested by the nurse practitioner.  What is so weird to me is the delay in the bites showing up, if they were from my travels...I've been home since Tuesday (3/6), if I truly had them you'd think they'd bite sooner.  But not if they were only on my clothing from my trip.  I did use things in my closet over those first days that I was home, but nothing that was hanging, mostly folded stuff and noting in proximity to the articles of clothing in question.

I should seriously stop scouring the internet for information, its making me crazy.  I am having Terminix come out to inspect, just for piece of mind. 

Lindsey Employee Rank
Employee

Moderator here - I've never heard of bed bugs jumping luggage in the cargo hold. Still, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. That's definitely not a fun way to end a trip. 

Lindsey
Community Manager
The Southwest Airlines Community

jlp1022
New Arrival

Thank you for the reply.  It seems so unlikely but I thought I would reach out and see.  Perhaps I picked up something and it just stayed with those clothes after I got home until I wore them.  I know my boyfriend, sleeping right next to me, did not have any bites, and he did not travel with me, and he obviously did not wear the clothes I wore Friday night...Hopefully Terminix can give me some insight, and hopefully its not bed bugs.  I'd take any other insect haha!

Thanks again!

dmla
New Arrival

Hello,  

Bed Bugs can be transmitted from any furniture you have come in contact with.  They can also be transmitted by your shoes and clothes.

You did the right thing by drying your clothes on high  and bagging them.  Also, wash your bed linens in hot water and dry them on high.  

Bed Bugs like wood and mattresses.  A suggestion would be to take a lint roller and roll it on your mattress under the mattress, on your box springs and on your curtains etc...then look to see if you have found any bugs. 

If you haven't done so already, call an exterminator.  It may be costly but in the end they will help you get rid of them.   

I am a property manager and have dealt with bed bugs numerous times.  

Hope this helps.

jlp1022
New Arrival

Thanks you for your suggestions.

Although I still have not seen physical evidence of bugs, I have Terminix coming out tomorrow to do an inspection.  Hopefully that will put my mind at ease

StellaPhelps
New Arrival

Well, as you said that you have travelled from southwest flight 2015 from OAK to BNA, then Southwest flight 1954 from BNA to CMH, so might be bed bugs had come from your travel suitcase. Sometimes, bed bugs can be on the plane going across the seas, which means everyone around your luggage can be infected. I have not yet experienced this issue, but last month my brother had dealed with similar issue like this. As he had travelled from Alaska to New York flight, where after reaching at home, he had worn some of those clothes and he had got some bed bug bites. He had cleaned his travel suitcase, clean his clothes and his home. But still he had found some bed bugs, then he had hired an exterminator for bed bugs treatment in NYC where the experts used chemical spray to eliminate all bed bugs permanently.