Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Problem checking Southwest giftcards

dleblanc136
Explorer C

Hello,

Let me start by saying I am a HUGE fan of SWA! I having a problem checking balances on SW gift cards on the website. I go to the SW site > Southwest Giftcard > Check your balance and I enter the info including 16-digit number and the 4-digit security code. It always gives me an error message saying:

• The security check solution entered did not match. Please try again or if you continue to have difficulties, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Service Representative at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) (SW105000)

Yet no check solution appears on the page... 

I've tried from my personal computer, work computer and cell phone and all get the same response.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thank you!  

Dianne

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Problem checking Southwest giftcards

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @dleblanc136,

I'm sorry about the trouble checking your card balances. I have a couple of questions to help troubleshoot:

1) Were the cards purchased directly from Southwest Airlines? If not, do you know where they were purchased?

2) Sometimes the numbers on the card can look like other numbers - for example, a 6 might look a little like an 8. Look at the numbers really carefully, maybe with a magnifying glass if you've got one to make sure that they are all being entered correctly.

3) Definitely use the phone number listed as a resource. These folks will be happy to work with you to help get visibility to your card balances. 

dleblanc136
Explorer C

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Please see the solution in the post after yours...it has a link that describes the exact problem and a work-around to your website glitch. Will this be addressed at some point?

Thanks!

Dianne

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest is currently addressing the multitude of issues caused by the conversion to the new booking system, so I suspect this one will get bumped even further down the priority list -- if it was even on there to begin with (it's hard to believe they couldn't fix something as simple as this in the past 6 months).

One hopes it's addressed soon, but one is not overly optimistic.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

That's actually been happening for quite a while now -- since November of last year at least.

It appears that particular section of the website is broken, but there's another way you can check the balance online (in addition to calling). See the detailed info here:

Southwest Airlines Gift Card Balance Checker Broken – Here is the Fix

Hope this helps!

dleblanc136
Explorer C

PERFECT!!! Thanks so much....this is exactly what I needed. I often have a few cards to check and don't feel like calling for the balances, so that was not a good solution for me (a suggested answer from SWA). I am curious why the website hasn't been fixed yet? I did call SWA regarding the issue 2 times before but no one seemed to understand what I was talking about and blamed it on the device I was using. 

Thank you so much for responding and providing a solution!!

Dianne

BullsFan
Adventurer A

pretty hard to believe that you had to figure this out- and that no SWA employees twitter customer service or programers or even moderators here had any idea

SWA's systems are in trouble!

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

@BullsFan

i have read a bunch of your posts... well put..

Any update on swa gift cards I gave up several years ago after trouble .. Shall I try gain .?

@16fseataFFBK

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, according to the website that first suggested the work-around I posted earlier, the "fix" is now broken again. 😞

I generally do not recommend Southwest gift cards. The limitations on use, inability to add funds or combine balances, and non-refundability make them risky and unattractive as an option. 

wrote:

@BullsFan

i have read a bunch of your posts... well put..

Any update on swa gift cards I gave up several years ago after trouble .. Shall I try gain .?