Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question on non refundable fares

Car7brg
Explorer C

Hello.  If we book non refundable fares for other people on our credit card, what happens with the credits if they do not travel?  Does it go under their name or the name of the person who paid for the ticket?  We have a wedding coming  up and if I have to pay for the fares for my in-laws I want the credit for the funds if they change their mind! 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Question on non refundable fares

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Car7brg wrote:

Hello.  If we book non refundable fares for other people on our credit card, what happens with the credits if they do not travel?  Does it go under their name or the name of the person who paid for the ticket?  We have a wedding coming  up and if I have to pay for the fares for my in-laws I want the credit for the funds if they change their mind! 

All fares are non-transferrable, so if you cancel the credit will be usable only by the originally named passenger(s) for one year from the date of purchase. All new travel would need to be completed by that expiration date.

If you have accumulated enough Rapid Rewards points, they are a great way to book flights for someone else, as they are simply returned to your account upon cancellation (instead of being locked to the passenger name).

Alternately, you can book refundable fares and just cancel for a full refund back to the original form of payment (with one big exception: Southwest gift cards aren't refundable, so they become funds like a non-refundable fare.)

Hope this helps!

bec102896
Aviator A

@Car7brg 

If you book a non refundable ticket and end up canceling the funds would remain in the name of the person who was scheduled to travel and they have one year from original ticket purchase date to complete travel.

Hope this helps!

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

For this to be wholly in your control, you'll have to book refundable fares, and have the tickets refunded instead of given travel credit if the tickets were canceled. 

Alternately if you book the tickets as WGA and the passengers cancel, the travel funds will be in their name but I suppose they could reimburse you cash for the value if/when they evenetually used the credit on their own flights.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.