Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Credits with Southwest

OrangeHoosier
Explorer C

What is the typical expiration date for flight credits - one year? 

5 REPLIES 5

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@OrangeHoosier,

Flight credit is always valid for one year from the original date of purchase. If you cancel a flight and apply the funds toward a new reservation, the new reservation will still have the expiration date of the oldest funds applied. 

Example: I book a flight on July 31, 2016. I cancel that flight. I book a new flight and apply the funds from my July 31, 2016 flight, and I pay a difference of $50. My new reservation still has an expiration date of July 31, 2017. 

alphacat
Explorer C

How do I find out how much credit I have? I THINK I have some but don't remember how much, or when it expires - and I can't find any way to locate that on the website!  Please advise!  Thanks.

franktravel
Aviator B

HI 

You need to know what conformation number the credits are attached to.  You should check your email.   You will not find the credits in your Southwest Rapid Rewards account, You need the conformation numbers....  In the past I have called Southwest Airlines and have given them my credit card number that I use to purchase tickets and they would give me the conformation numbers that had credits. 

Good luck! 

alphacat
Explorer C

Thanks! I just now did that and determined I have $220 in credit - yay!

But what was the cost of the rep's time, times a million callers like you and me, compared to what it would cost Southwest to just fix the website so we could find it there and not have to call?!

Of course, that potential cost to them is offset by the money they get to keep because people can't figure out how much credit they've got, so it eventually goes to the airline! Ah, now I see their logic!  Yes, I'm jaded.

mark3239
Explorer C

Under Manage Reservations > View Travel Funds, you can put in confirmation number and name (just like checking on a reservation) and it will display available dollars AND expiration date.

Hope this helps!

Mark