Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund for mechanical problems?

gcmaus
Explorer C

July 15th, 2017

Flight #1- AUS>BWI (through HOU) 1:20pm departure, 7:00pm arrival

Flight #2- BWI>BDL 8:15pm departure, 9:30pm arrival

Flight #1 delayed in Houston by 4hr due to mechanical problem w/ air conditioning (we had to de-plane and wait for a replacement)

Landed in BWI after 11:00pm, missing any connection chances (including flight #2 above) to BDL.

Gate agent at BWI booked me for an early flight the next day (I think 8-9 am), but offered no hotel vouchers or compensation. On top of that, all hotels with 45 miles of BWI were booked due to a national Boy Scout Jamboree in the area (there were about 80 Boy Scouts on flight to BWI). I had to spend the night at BWI w/ no food because stores were all closed by then.

Not all of that was Southwest's fault, but it was a miserable experience & the mechanical issue that played a major role is their responsibility. Any chance for a refund or anything?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Refund for mechanical problems?

franktravel
Aviator B

Re: Refund for mechanical problems?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest's Contract of Carriage provides no requirement for any sort of refund in this situation. That said, customers often receive small vouchers as compensation for mechanical delays. My suggestion is to reach out to Customer Relations via Twitter.