Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund- non refundable ticket

nikki93
Explorer C

Hello, I purchased a wanna get away flight and unfortunately due to an unforeseen event today, I wont be able to make this flight. Is there any way to request a refund in this type of situation? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Refund- non refundable ticket

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

If you call or cancel online at Southwest.com within 24 hours of booking, Southwest will offer you the option of refunding the airfare back to the original form of payment, or retaining the credit to be used toward future travel one year from the date of purchase. 

You can also would try this but not sure it will work.  Good Luck! 

For all other refund requests, including refund exceptions on nonrefundable travel and refund consideration on all "paper" tickets, you may:

Write to Refunds Department at the address below.

Contact Information
Southwest Airlines
Refunds Department
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649

tilburgrd
Explorer C

I wish to get a refund on the 2 tickets I purchased because of the 2 issues with your airline which has made it impossible to fly at this time. My fear has been overly highend.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @tilburgrd,

We aren't able to process refunds on the Southwest Community, but you can reach out to our Customer Relations Department at 1-855-234-4654 and a Representative will assist you. 

arsr88
Explorer C

Hello

I also purchased 2 non refundable tickets months ago that I wanted to see if I could get a refund for.  I canceled our vacation to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary bc of my heightened fear of flying after the tragic accident on Southwest. I suffer from PTSD & anxiety and that just put it over the edge.  My vacation is canceled & I just called the Customer Relations Department about a refund exception.

The person said under no circumstances are refunds given on the tickets I bought.  Very blunt, not helpful & a little bit rude

bec102896
Aviator A

@arsr88

If you talked to customer relations and they said they won't be able to make an exception because you purchased a non refundable ticket then that would be the ruling as that is the only department who could make an exception to the non refundable rule but you can cancel the ticket for free and should you decide to travel at a later date you will have those funds to use within a year of the original ticket purchase. If you want to get a 2nd opinion you could call customer relations again and maybe someone else will be able to make an exception but I don't think they will since you bought a non refundable ticket. 

hope this helps 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@arsr88 wrote:

Hello

I also purchased 2 non refundable tickets months ago that I wanted to see if I could get a refund for.  I canceled our vacation to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary bc of my heightened fear of flying after the tragic accident on Southwest. I suffer from PTSD & anxiety and that just put it over the edge.  My vacation is canceled & I just called the Customer Relations Department about a refund exception.

The person said under no circumstances are refunds given on the tickets I bought.  Very blunt, not helpful & a little bit rude

@arsr88you should follow the advice from @TheMiddleSeat up above in the post that was marked the solution and write Southwest about your request.

Although customer relations may have been able to deliver the news in a better manner when you called, they probably are not offering refunds in general.

Maybe you can request a voucher instead when you write in so that the funds could be used by someone else. I don't know if Southwest is doing this or not, but you could try asking. They may need some supporting info when you write them if they were to consider this as an exception (they may not consider it, just an idea).

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

My understanding is that, per your situation, refunds will not be made. Feel free to contact Customer Relations via mail, but I would not expect an alternate outcome.

Please do come back and let us know how it works out for you in the end. Good luck.

arsr88
Explorer C

Thanks all for your feedback. It doesn’t sound like they make any exceptions to non refundable tickets so I just canceled the tickets & they’ll sit in a travel fund for a year. Maybe take a shorter trip next year?

Thanks! 😊