Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund ticket

Kmpress2003
Explorer C

Hi I am needing help on getting a refund on my ticket . I have a memorandum from air force when a family was  going to graduate but did not do to medical reasons. I need know steps and process to getting this done. However I do not have card anymore that I purchased ticket with due to frud on it.  If you can email back on steps I appreciate it.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Refund ticket

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Can you elaborate on the timing  of the purchase and the flight, and which type of ticket you purchased? I'm assuming the graduation was scheduled for this spring and you still have the tickets booked.

If you have business select or anytime these are refundable pretty easily as long as the flights haven't been changed - I assume that you had a Wanna Get Away fare instead.

The WGA fares are not refundable, but you can cancel the flight and use the flight credit on a future flight, within one year of the orignial purchase. If you fly very often this may be a good way to use the funds. You don't need your original card, just the confirmation number and your name.

You could call customer service and ask for a refund based on the USAF memo, but I'm not sure that they will issue a refund since you'll have the flight credit. Refunds are typically only for cancellation on Southwest's part. Call customer service and see if they go for it though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Kmpress2003
Explorer C

I purchased the ticket back in January she was to graduate late last month , was sent home a day before it. I have already cancelled the flight and was given get away flight but when she returned home I was given a letter from her from air force to give to airline for a refund . I planned try use get away flight but I will not be able to do that this year.   I have attached the letter from air force . However I do no longer have the credit card I got ticket with due to frud so refund would have to go onto a diff weren't card.7EA41F97-AD0F-4CC0-8214-B12BE709DDC8.png

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You'll want to call Southwest to see if they can refund back to your credit card instead of the travel funds that @DancingDavidE mentioned above. It sounds like you have travel funds now that can be applied to another flight so If that's good enough for you then no need to call.  If you want to to try to get a cash/credit card refund call Southwest. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Also, be aware that refunds (if they grant an exception for you due to the circumstances) go back to the original form of payment, and credit card companies require they go back to the original card. If that card has been replaced by the bank with a new one (due to fraud, etc.) the refund will be transferred to the new card account. If your original card account has been closed for whatever reason, an/or you no longer have a card with that bank, you'll need to contact the bank and have them issue you a check for the refund amount after they receive it.

Kmpress2003
Explorer C

When I called before they said I would have get hold of customer relations so that where I at. What number do I call that would understand what's going on. I don't want the run around when I have this letter from the air force stating a refund .

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The Customer Relations number is 1-855-234-4654, but you'll need to wait until Monday to call.

For the best outcome, please keep in mind that you purchased non-refundable tickets, and that you are requesting an exception be made due to your circumstances. The letter will help your case, but it is no guarantee... Southwest isn't the Air Force, they are a private company and as such as fully within their rights to enforce their policies (to which you agreed when you bought the non-refundable ticket).

Good luck.