Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reimbursement for Mechanical Cancellation

drano21
Explorer C

On the Friday prior to Memorial Day, we were scheduled to fly to San Diego. 18 hours prior to takeoff I got text that our flight was cancelled. We tried to change online, but since my wife was on Companion Pass that wasn't possible. The flights that were available were gone after being on hold for an hour. Instead of arriving at lunch Friday, we arrived at 10pm.

The reason stated for the cancellation was mechanical (MX). I asked how I would go about reimbursement for tickets we had for that evening. I was told that they do not reimburse for any costs incurred due to the cancellation.

I've never heard of this in my life, I've been reimbursed from American and Spirit for overnight and even 10 hour delays where things were necessary. I can't believe they shrug and say tough when it's 100% their fault and admittedly so.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Reimbursement for Mechanical Cancellation

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

If the cancellation was for a mechanical issue, typically that makes it Southwest's "fault." You would (again - typically) be entitled to some sort of compensation, but since SW did get you to your desination, I am not sure you are entitled to a refund?

In my experience, SW offers travel vouchers for major delays.

I would reach out to them directly for additional info as only SW can answer this question. Twitter is a great option  (super helpful folks), or you can use the contact us link below!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: Reimbursement for Mechanical Cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@drano21 wrote:

The reason stated for the cancellation was mechanical (MX). I asked how I would go about reimbursement for tickets we had for that evening. I was told that they do not reimburse for any costs incurred due to the cancellation.

Any thoughts?

I presume you had tickets for some type of entertainment that evening for an event you missed due to the cancellation. As was stated above, you should call the airline's customer relations department. E-mail or tiwtter are also options. Click on contact us at the bottom of this page and then pick your contact option from the top left of the ensuing page.

Don't expect a cash rembursement. You'd probably get vouchers you can use for future travel.

Every airline provides compensaton for flights cancelled for reasons under control of the airlines' (MX being one ). Things like meal vouchers are frequently given. If the situation involves an overnight stay, so are hotel vouchers. Sometimes vouchers are given just becasue of the inconveneince of the situation. SOmetimes you have to ask.