Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Residual travel fund for SWA cancelled flight

Mom2E
Explorer C

My mother was supposed to travel on a flight that was cancelled by Southwest. Her two traveling companions’ fares (on the same ticket) were refunded according to emails that were received. Her own fare was placed into a “residual travel fund.” I understand the travel fund and its usage for passengers who choose to cancel their own ticket. However, my mother’s situation seems different. She did not choose to cancel her ticket; Southwest cancelled the flight (which was its own mess). My mother is elderly and does not travel often. She will not use the travel fund. She wants a refund or the ability to transfer the fund to another family member who can use it. 

Somehow this situation does not seem right to me. Is Southwest likely to refund her ticket if I call them? Why were her two companions refunded when she was not?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Residual travel fund for SWA cancelled flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, if the situation is as straightforward as you describe (purchased ticket then Southwest cancelled the flight) you should be able to receive a refund to the original payment method. Give Southwest a call and explain the situation as you did here and request a refund instead of travel funds.  Let us know how it goes.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, call and request the refund. They will process the refund unless there are any circumstances that would prevent it -- for example, the flight was originally booked using travel funds, or a gift card. Good luck.

Mom2E
Explorer C

I called and was able to get the refund transferred out of the travel fund and back to my mom’s credit card. Apparently it was a mistake that it was issued this way. It should have been refunded but went into a travel fund by mistake. Thanks for the replies!