Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Same Day Cancellation

JDavis3469
Explorer C

Received a text message at 3:30 a.m. my daughter's flight from SAT to MDW at 10:00 a.m. had been cancelled. Went online and no flights to her destination were available until Monday afternoon. She had just rebooked the return flight the day before based on another text she had received. Absolutely no effort on the part of SWA to find alternative arrangements to get her home on time. Ended up costing another $450 to get her home on AA. I understand the Max 8 issue but cancelling the flight at the last minute and stranding passengers without adequate compensation makes no sense to me. Highly disappointed!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Same Day Cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A

Reports seem to indicate that MAX related cancellations are being done 5 days in advance. So the most recent cancellation may have been caused by something else. Keep checking because seats can become available as people change plans.

I'd also check on flights to Austin. If available, you'd have to call SW to change the arrival airport as the online system would not allow this type of change.

Southwest can only offer seats if it has seats to offer. Beyond offering the next available seat, there really  isn't much the airline can do.

If a SW seat becomes available, remember than you can cancel the American reservation within 24 hours of purchase and get a full refund.

JDavis3469
Explorer C

No this was not helpful. She wasn't flying to SAT, she was flying from SAT. No explanation from Southwest on why the flight was cancelled or effort to make it right. Seems like a generic response since it really didn't address my two specific issues.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JDavis3469 wrote:

No this was not helpful. She wasn't flying to SAT, she was flying from SAT. No explanation from Southwest on why the flight was cancelled or effort to make it right. Seems like a generic response since it really didn't address my two specific issues.

Well, OK. 

'Did you check on availability of flights out of Austin?

That's what I would have done. IF MDW is mucked up I check on MKE. That's about the same distance as SAT to AUS.

And what should SW do to "make ti right?" If it had setas it would have given them to her. If there are no seats available, then there's not much the airline can do except provide the next available seat..

JDavis3469
Explorer C

Yep, tried everything you mentioned. Chicago was not the final destination so I tried every route cobination to get her to CVG. You don't really need to respond, I get that SW feels no obligation for the additional $450 it cost me. But I still haven't received my money they said they were refunding for the original ticket.

As for what else they could have done, hired someone on the customer service line that actually sounded like they cared and at least provided some empathy. As I said in the original post it was pretty much - got nothing for you so good luck. My treatment then is much like this board, it seems like this is only here to accept no responsibility for taking care of customers and how they have been inconvenienced either in time or money, sometimes both.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@JDavis3469 wrote:

I get that SW feels no obligation for the additional $450 it cost me. But I still haven't received my money they said they were refunding for the original ticket.

We're primarily other customers here so others and I are only able to offer opinions or experiences.  As another customer I would take the following two steps, if you haven't done so already:

1. Call the Customer Relations Department at 1-855-234-4654.
  2. Write to Southwest (I prefer an old fashioned letter for something like this but email is also available).  The mailing and email addresses are available here.

With any communication be sure to highlight what you're requesting and why.  I think in this case you are requesting reimbursement for the original ticket AND reimburesement for the additional costs you incurred.

As you, others here, and the press have mentioned Southwest doesn't seem like they are entertaining reimbursement requests for additional costs, though putting it in writing will at least document the situation.

Customer | Home airport DCA

JDavis3469
Explorer C

Thank you for taking the time and replying. Your post is reasonable and I have contacted customer relations. Safe travels