Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Senior fare

Globalguy
Explorer C

What is the purpose of senior fare? It's always the same or at times higher then adult fare. Southwest has never given me a senior fare discount over dozens and dozens of flights.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Senior fare

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Senior fares are refundable; WGA fares are not.

Milagros1030
Explorer C

I'm interested in flying october 28 From Cleveland to Miami returning November 2nd I be 65 Can I get a discount October 30th.

LUVsouthwest
Explorer C

Making Reservations

Reservations for Senior Fares are now available online for both domestic and international flights. You may also make reservations by contacting a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative or your local travel agent.

Senior Fares apply only to those in the traveling party who are age 65 or over. Southwest Airlines has other discounted fares for those not meeting the above age requirements. Some restrictions and seating limitations may apply.

Our Customers who are deaf and hard of hearing may call our Teletypewriter (TTY) number, (800) 533-1305, and speak with a Customer Representative. Our Customer Representatives can assist with making reservations and answering general questions. Additionally, we offer a video relay service at SWAVRS.TV, and there are TTY phones located in each of the airports we serve.

If your plans change and you need to cancel your existing reservation, please visit the Travel Center on Southwest.com or contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA for assistance.

Booking International Travel

For international itineraries, Senior Fares cannot be combined with other types of fares in the same booking. For example, you cannot book one passenger on a standard Wanna Get Away Fare and another passenger on a Senior Fare in the same reservation.

For international bookings, Senior Fares must be booked on a separate itinerary. Upon completion of your Adult traveler’s booking, you will be redirected to complete your Senior traveler’s booking. In the event that no seats remain available for sale to accommodate the Senior traveler, you can either book the Senior traveler on a different flight or cancel your initial Adult traveler’s booking and choose a different flight for both travelers.

PatinTennessee
Explorer C

Can I show verification document (driver's license or passport) to a SWA attendant when I'm traveling to Denver on another airline so that I may board online when returning  on SWA flight a week later?  The by-mail verification process seems slow and cumbersome.  I wish to check in early and get an early boarding status. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PatinTennessee wrote:

Can I show verification document (driver's license or passport) to a SWA attendant when I'm traveling to Denver on another airline so that I may board online when returning  on SWA flight a week later?  The by-mail verification process seems slow and cumbersome.  I wish to check in early and get an early boarding status. 

This makes sense that you would be able to do this, but I'm not sure. If no answer turns up here, do you have access to ask Southwest officially on Twitter (@SouthwestAir) or Facebook?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tjbevilacqua
Explorer C

Sr fare is not bogus. It’s a lot cheaper for last minute changes. Check reg fare vs sr fare for same day and next day reservations to see the difference

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@tjbevilacqua wrote:

Sr fare is not bogus. It’s a lot cheaper for last minute changes. Check reg fare vs sr fare for same day and next day reservations to see the difference

If a WGA fare is no longer available, yes. I'm finding that on some routes there may be a WGA fare still available even the day before. YMMV, of course. 😉