Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest refund policy - abuse

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mhunter wrote:

I saw this post yesterday and wanted to make everyone aware of it before it gets out of hand.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/how-to-easily-pass-through-airport-security-to-walk-your-loved...

Basically, this person is making a reservation at the last minute then obtaining the boarding pass for the sole purpose of walking through the TSA checkpoint.  After he does this, he cancels his flight  and obtains a refund. 

Another example of some people trying to game the system. 

I believe Southwest has done a good thing with their trying to be helpful to people who have last minute change in plans and can't fly.  What I would suggest is that the policy be changed so that once you check-in and obtain your boarding pass, no refunds or credits. 

It's a shame but you always need to stay ahead of the scammers.

I wanted to add a clarificataion to this - the guy scamming the lounge had another actual ticket that he kept, so he was within his rights to be behind security.

Someone refunding their ticket should only do so after leaving the secure area or maybe on the way out of the airport, or else I'm not sure that  you have the right to be in the secure area without a valid boarding pass.

Anyway, it sure doesn't seem like a great idea, if it is even allowable at all, and if Southwest deteremined that you were buying tickets without intention to fly they could cancel your bookings.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.