Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stunt Scooter - Carry On

bemery004
Explorer C

I have a child that is interested in bring along his scooter for a vacation.  It does not fold and only the base of the scooter will fit in a suitcase.  The Stem and bars are 24" wide x24" long so they will not fit inside of any of our luggage.  Can take the scooter through security and check the scooter at the gate?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Stunt Scooter - Carry On

jklundgren
Explorer C

Whatever ended up happening with the scooter being taken on your trip? We are wondering the same thing! Thanks!

dfwskier
Aviator A

I presume the rules for non-motorized scooters are the same as those for bicycles.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...

Best if packed in a hard side case, or at a minimum in a softsided or cardboard case, but if in softsided/cardboard, SW would accept only limited liability for damage.

If it has to be in a case, it would sure make sense to me to check it before getting to security. 

Embracethewill
Explorer C

You have to take the scooter through the TSA check point. They will ask you about ten times if it folds, haha. Eventually they will 'pat it down.' Once you get to the gate, ask the gate agent to check the scooter at the gate, like a stroller. They will put a tag on it and you drop it at the bottom of the jet bridge before getting on the plane. They will bring it back up when you get to your destination

image.jpg