Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Thank you for cancelling my flight

Ronshan
Explorer C

Dear SW,

Who is the genius that cancels flights based upon a weather forecast for 9-10 hours later? Oh, thunderstorms are forcast for any given city; scattered rain and thunderstorms with possible lightning so let's cancel the flights. Isn't that every destination all summer long? Come on!

My notification that my flight was cancelled was at 10:30 AM in NAS, flights to BWI were cancelled that landed at 6:45 PM. Really? Cancelled? Why?

Forcasted bad weather? You MUST be joking! What newly educated genius made this call? You should hire several more of these morons so that when your company goes under, you'll have someone to blame.

Forecasted storms in the area 9-10 hours later? Better cancel the flights. We don't want to have our pilots and ground crews make any decisions that could jeopardize our bottom line. We'll cancel and call it a weather event so no customer compensation will be necessary.

Forget about all the families stuck at an airport overnight, no worries about folks having to retrieve their luggage for their future connecting flight that incidently will be tomorrow so they can sit in arriving passenger area and not even get thru TSA security because, oh yes, we can't check their luggage until 4am or so when we start the day tomorrow. No worries. Folks can sit wherever they can, with luggage and no boarding pass or anything required to enter into the "inner airport" where things could be a little nicer than the area I'm currently in. Lots of kids running around, few homeless looking people trying to sleep the stink off, and also some regular folks who also got their flights cancelled. Nice! Thank you Southwest Airlines for screwing your customers, maybe good maybe bad customers; treated equally as should be, given the "weather event". Just Cancel the flights, no problems. Safer that way. And much cheaper.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Thank you for cancelling my flight

lipps46
Explorer B

Funny you should say this John Re: "Delays". "Cancels" , "no notifications"

I hope unlike us,  you were not in an A group and then rebooked on another flight at the tail end of the C group.

Worse yet, we were canceled on the way to our Fathers unexpected funeral, denied on 2 possible rebookings only to be place on the last flight to our route on standby.

Obviously this did not fly well with us, nor does southwest for that matter, and the gate agent had an attitude.

In tears after the horrible treatment, my girl looked at him and very politely told him he was cold and heartless and had not empathy at all.

I guess that made him think a bit, as at least the flight 11 hours later we were able to book after the A group..

But wait thats not all.

As you said, we were canceled at 8am this on the day stated for a flight departing at 530pm

Told we had to rebook

Of course I did take it to the FAA this time, contacted Mr Kelly and Mr Van De ...

They did decide to route us through Chicago this time, like it should have been done when we came up...

But wait.. Imagine this

We had A assignments for our flight to leave CVG going to BWI, but our rebook was in the lower C class and seperate.

Our flight from BWI to MDW we were seperated. bad enough this was a trip because of bereavement, now having to sit apart after not sleeping for 2 days because of the 11 hour delay, the frustration of missing family members that could only meet for a short time due to their work...

We evan asked the gate agent to show some sympathy.

yet as your said

They just dont care.

She said the only way to be moved up was to pay another 100 dollars to upgrade to the A class which we already were prior. Big time scam.

We were forced to pay this fee just so we could sit next to each other and try to get some recovery.

I will tell you this. It is very sad and one of the worst days a person can have when losing their parents, but SOUTHWEST AIRLINES TURNED OUR WORST POSSIBLE FAMILY EVENT INTO AN EVEN MORE HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE.

I will tell this story to everyone.

Southwest... I hope in your time of loss you dont run into situations where the people you contract with and should be able to trust, turn away and treat you like dirt. This is how you made us feel.

Dont forget your usual line.. it was weather, or the air traffic controler

Total almost $900 for a flight for 2 from FLL to CVG and bumped and canceled multiple times. Then froced to pay another $100 because of your mistakes..

As a Mason, A Templar, A Nurse, and a member of the ASPCA.. Brother if you are in travel, you have lost your way.

j2e3iy

Re: Thank you for cancelling my flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Ronshan wrote:

Dear SW,

Who is the genius that cancels flights based upon a weather forecast for 9-10 hours later? Oh, thunderstorms are forcast for any given city; scattered rain and thunderstorms with possible lightning so let's cancel the flights. Isn't that every destination all summer long? Come on!

My notification that my flight was cancelled was at 10:30 AM in NAS, flights to BWI were cancelled that landed at 6:45 PM. Really? Cancelled? Why?

Forcasted bad weather? You MUST be joking! What newly educated genius made this call? You should hire several more of these morons so that when your company goes under, you'll have someone to blame.

Forecasted storms in the area 9-10 hours later? Better cancel the flights. We don't want to have our pilots and ground crews make any decisions that could jeopardize our bottom line. We'll cancel and call it a weather event so no customer compensation will be necessary.

Sorry to hear about your travel troubles. I'm sure it was pretty maddening. i've had travel days like that, and they are absolutely no fun.

That being said, check the national news this morning about weather on the east coast. A dam in Va may collapse due to the excessive amount of rainfall. So Southwest was likely correct when it cancelled flights due to the expected bad weather.

All airlines opeate in a way that disruptions are managed in a way to minimize total disruption to the system. Planes and crew have to be properly positioned so that f uture flights are not cancelled.

That sometimes means that it is better to cancel a flight than to have the flight depart and then divert - putting both the plane and the crew in the wrong place thus jeopardizing future flights. That also puts passengers in the wrong airport struggling even more to get to their final destinations.

No airline cancels flights on a day like yeterday to save money. They do so to try to minimize total disruption to the arline and it's passengers.