Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ticket help

DaijP
Explorer C

I purchased a ticket for Thursday but I wanted to see if there was anyway I could change it to Friday without paying extra.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ticket help

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Technically the answer is yes, but likely (at this point) the answer is no. 

With SW, there are no change fees, so while you don’t pay a fee to change a flight, you may have to pay the difference in the original flight you purchased and the new one. 

This guide is slightly antiquated, but it walks you through the process of changing online. 

You can can also call SW reservations at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (435-9792)!

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DaijP
Explorer C

If I wanted to cancel my flight and unfortunately I have a non-refundable ticket, is it possible for me to get my money back and not credit. I’m not a traveler and I never traveled before this was gonna be my first time and I would really hate if it goes to credit cause I didn’t plan on traveling anywhere else.

franktravel
Aviator B

Requesting a Refund You may request a refund in the following ways:

• For refundable1 Ticketless flight reservations only:
    • If your outbound flight has not departed, you may submit a refund request:
      • online at Southwest.com. To begin this process, you will first need to cancel your flight reservation
      • by calling our Reservations Department at 1-800-435-9792
      • by calling Customer Relations at the telephone number below
      • by writing to our Refunds Department at the address below
    • If your outbound flight has departed, you may submit a refund request:
      • by calling Customer Relations at the number below
    • If you previously cancelled your reservation online at Southwest.com and did not request a refund at that time, you may submit a request:
      • by calling Customer Relations at the number below
  • For nonrefundable reservations within 24 hours of booking:
    • If you call or cancel online at Southwest.com within 24 hours of booking, Southwest will offer you the option of refunding the airfare back to the original form of payment, or retaining the credit to be used toward future travel. If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and cancelled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact Customer Relations.
  • For all other refund requests, including refund exceptions on nonrefundable travel and refund consideration on all "paper" tickets, you may:
    • Write to our Refunds Department at the address below.

Notes

1 Not all reservations are refundable. Depending on the type of fare you purchased, you may not be eligible for a refund.

All refund requests submitted in writing to the Refunds Department should include your unused ticket or, if your reservation was confirmed as Ticketless Travel, proof of purchase and/or the confirmation number is required. Customers calling Southwest to request a refund or to research travel funds for a specific ticket must provide their confirmation number, ticket number or flight information (date, origin and destination).

Additional Refund Information

• Unused, refundable tickets that do not carry restrictions may be applied toward future travel or refunded within one year from the date of issue.
  • All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment.
  • Refunds for tickets purchased with credit cards will be credited to the same credit card.
  • Our Refunds Department will process an eligible refund to the original credit/debit card within seven business days from the date we receive your request.
  • Your card-issuing bank may then take up to ten business days to post the credit to your account. Based on your individual billing cycle, you will see the refund on your statement within one to two statement mailings.

Contact Information

Southwest Airlines
Refunds Department
P.O. Box 36649
Dallas, Texas 75235-1649

Southwest Airlines
Customer Relations
1-855-234-4654

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morning.

Sorry, but non-refundable tickets are, by definition "non_refundable." It's that way on Southwest, and United, and Delta, and Americanand every oher airline

Unlike the other airlines I mentioned, at least Southwest lets you keep the full value of your cancelled flight for use within a year of the date the original ticket was bought.

Hopefully you'll find a way to use it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DaijP wrote:

If I wanted to cancel my flight and unfortunately I have a non-refundable ticket, is it possible for me to get my money back and not credit. I’m not a traveler and I never traveled before this was gonna be my first time and I would really hate if it goes to credit cause I didn’t plan on traveling anywhere else.

After the travel funds expire a year from the original date of purchase you may be able to pay a fee (currently $100)  to have the travel credit exchanged for a voucher. 

If your credit was more than $100, then once you had the voucher anyone could use it in case you have a family member or friend that flies more frequently. Make sure of what the expiration would be for the voucher that someone you know would be able to use it before paying any additional money.

Keep an eye on the sales, maybe you'll see a fun opportunity pop up to use all or most of your travel fund credit that you weren't expecting.

Depending where you are it could maybe even be used for a day trip to somewhere like Minneapolis where you can take the light rail into town or Mall of America...sight see, and head back to the airport same day.

Chicago is obviously a good one in that regard. A few other cities are also setup well to see a few sights and get back to the airport easily. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DaijP wrote:

I purchased a ticket for Thursday but I wanted to see if there was anyway I could change it to Friday without paying extra.

This works sometimes, the supply and demand (and competition) for connecting pairs of cities are all different.

I one time changed a flight from MDW to LAS on the same day - and got a travel credit back. But this won't typically be the case, most routes will tend to increase as time for the flight gets closer, especially if you are within a week of travel.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.