Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Told to stow IPad for take off and landing

l13hudson
Explorer C

I fly with SWA every week for work. Always have my IPad and a bottle of water in hand each flight. Was told today I had to put my iPad away for takeoff and landing. Found that odd as I always have my iPad out. Anyone else experience this before? Not a huge deal, just annoying that after 65 flights so far this year and counting, this was a first for me.

A-list Preffered  Memeber (8 years now)

Companion Pass Holder

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Told to stow IPad for take off and landing

bec102896
Aviator A

I personally haven't been told to stow my ipad for take off and landing. My guess is maybe the FAs thought your iPad was a laptop which might be why you were asked to stow the ipad. 

If I was told to stow my ipad I would probably just put it in the seat back pocket or if they say to stow it then I'd put it in my backpack under the seat in front of me. 

Re: Told to stow IPad for take off and landing

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@l13hudson wrote:

I fly with SWA every week for work. Always have my IPad and a bottle of water in hand each flight. Was told today I had to put my iPad away for takeoff and landing. Found that odd as I always have my iPad out. Anyone else experience this before? Not a huge deal, just annoying that after 65 flights so far this year and counting, this was a first for me.

A-list Preffered  Memeber (8 years now)

Companion Pass Holder

I'm not sure why you were told that. Southwest allows passengers to use small portable electronic devices such as an iPad (those lighter than 2 pounds) gate to gate, including during takeoff and landing. After the FAA updated its rules regarding electronics in the cabin back in 2013, Southwest even promoted this fact as a benefit of it's satellite-based wifi service. Details of the policy are included at the back of the Southwest Magazine. 

That said, passengers must also obey the  directions of cabin crew at all times. Perhaps they were expecting significant turbulence during takeoff or landing. Or maybe they mistook your iPad for a heavier laptop. Or perhaps you simply encountered a flight attendant who was misinformed regarding the policy. 

If you were able to get the flight attendant's name, it might be worth sending an inquiry directly to Southwest. I suspect however you'll most likely receive a scripted reply.

At any rate, hopefully the rest of your flight was uneventful.

Screenshot_20190904-022254.png