Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

TransFAREency

joenaper
Explorer C

No change fees, or hidden fees.

Had to change a flight because of family emergency. Moved up departure 2 days and and took the SAME  flight I would have otherwise.

Result, forfieted my $15 paid for a good seat because the change was not made 36 hours in advance. Had to give up another 5,785 points and pay and additional $40 at the gate for an A seat.

Thus, transFAREncy does not mean no change fees, or hidden fees.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: TransFAREency

BlazinA1
Explorer C

More information would be needed to discern whether a hidden fee was applied.    If you change a Tuesday night flight to a Friday day/night flight, you should expect some kind of change especially a price hike.  Monday and Tuesday are considered the only low-priced flying days now.

Granted, you should get your $15 back for not being able to pre-board (weird that they did not at least honor that). 

joenaper
Explorer C

I changed from a Thursday to a Tuesday.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Although there isn't a change fee, if the flight fills up during the interim time or the new flight was businer than the one you changed from, the only available seat may be more expensive than what you started with. That happens a lot.

I have one time changed a same-day fare when there were still cheap Wanna Get Away seats available and I got a refund, so it does happen both ways sometimes.

So technically true that there isn't a change fee, but in the case of short-term changes there is a probability that the new fare is more expensive for sure.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.