Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Transfer baggage to other airline

Ruth0821
Explorer C

Will Southwest transfer my bags to another airline?  We are flying Southwest to LA and continuing on to Hawaii.

please advise.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Transfer baggage to other airline

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

I would not think so.  You are going to have to check them in with the airline which you are flying.

Good luck! 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Ruth0821,

You'll have to retrieve your bag from baggage claim after the end of your Southwest flight and check it on Hawaiian for the next portion of your trip. 

Burghboy4life
Explorer C

I haven't done this in a while (pre 9/11) but Southwest used to do this in the past.  I would be very cautious about doing it at LAX specifically because of the size of the airport and the potential for delay issues due to runway construction, fog... BUT you should definately ask at your city of orgin departure counter. And you will need both boarding passes for sure.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest has no interline agreements. They will not check bags through to another carrier.

Gretchenb25
Explorer C

I've been in the travel industry almost 30yrs now and code for Southwest is WN.  As a travel agent we had to call them to made reservations when we could use our computer system to book all the other carriers because they Would Not pay computer surcharges to be a part of the system.  Also,  they didn't have ticketing agreements with other airlines so they Would Not allow us to issue any part of the trip with another portion on a different carrier on their tickets. Lastly, they Would Not transfer bags between themselves and other airlines.   They Would Not serve meals.  They were known as the Would Not airline to travel agents.  They haven't transferred bags...you must have been on a different airline?