Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds should be returned to purchaser not to the ticketed passenger

mtmanner
Explorer C

The policy that puts cancelled ticket money into the Travel Funds of the ticketed passenger  needs to be changed. Please the following and tell me your opinion:

I bought a ticket for a young babysitter to assist my daughter and children on a flight to visit us. Plans changed, the ticket was cancelled -- the babysitter didn't fly with Southwest; now, because of policy, this young person essentially has $534 tip for a trip she never made.

The money should be put into Travel Funds of the purchaser of the ticket not the ticketed passenger. At a minimum, the decision should be situational.

btw, the babysitter totally agrees that the money should be in my Travel Funds and not hers. She tried to book tickets for Christmas 2017, naming my wife and I as passengers, using "her" Travel Funds, but was not allowed to do so.

At present, we have no way to reclaim money. If Southwest truly puts the customer first, as a loyal frequent flyer (flying once a month for the past 5 years), I do not feel valued.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Travel Funds should be returned to purchaser not to the ticketed passenger

Explorer B

I agree with the request to allow the purchasor to make this decision. In my experience, it is usually the purchasor who handles the cancellation. As purchasor, I would like the ability to choose who to apply the credit to, whether it be myself, the passenger I paid for, or another.

I would be truly happy with the opportunity to either credit the original passenger, as is done now, or convert to points for A-Listers. This would be another benefit of being an A-List member. Just an idea.

Re: Travel Funds should be returned to purchaser not to the ticketed passenger

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest used to allow travel funds to be used by anyone. They stopped that several years ago. It's not coming back. Keep in mind that any funds that go unused become profit for Southwest.