Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

Sticks11
Explorer C

I mentioned on Twitter that Travel Funds for minors should be able to be used by the parent who purchased the ticket or at the very least turned into RR funds/points to be used in the RR shopping center. I was given a number to call but havent been able to yet. Has anyone had any luck with this? I know the current travel funds policy so I was surpised but hopeful when SW Twitter responded with this.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A

I personally have not heard of parents being able to use a childs travel funds. 

As they mentioned on Twitter I recommend you reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they could make an exception but I believe they stand very strong on the funds remain with the passenger policy 

If you get a good result from calling feel free to share here

-Blake 

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Sticks11 quick question: are you able to share the general, non personal, circumstances of the reason travel funds were issued? i.e. was the trip cancelled by Southwest due to a schedule change or was it for something else?  If cancelled then you may have more options than a voucher -- ohter passengers here should be able to share options and experience, if any.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Sticks11
Explorer C

Sure! The trip actually hasnt been cancelled. I booked super early (March) for an October flight bc the flights in my normal airport (BNA - 2 hours from home) were already sold out for my week in October so I booked with STL (3 hours from home) to ensure I got a flight to MCO. Cant mess with the mouse trips! Anyway, a couple of weeks later the flights dropped dramatically so each of us have $60 in travel funds. Myself and my spouse can probably find a way to use them by March 2020 but my 8 year old wont be flying again by March next year since our trip isnt even until October.

I know the policy states that they can only be used by the person named on the ticket but the SW Twitter person acted like I might be able to move my childs travel funds to myself or convert them into funds where I could buy something in the RR Shop.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I didn't see the specific reply on Twitter, but that would be very unusual if they did. Southwest doesn't allow transferability of travel funds, at least at the moment. Good luck, and please come back and let us know how it all works out.

Sticks11
Explorer C

Well it was a big fat no... A little frustrated that whoever is running their Twitter page would give me hope of a better outcome. Oh well, I guess I know better than to book so early next time....

Thanks everyone!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Sticks11 wrote:

Well it was a big fat no... A little frustrated that whoever is running their Twitter page would give me hope of a better outcome. Oh well, I guess I know better than to book so early next time....

Thanks everyone!

I don't know if this is helpful or not - but you seemed happy to have something locked in at the given price at the time. So I'd look at the travel funds for the adults as a bonus, and the funds for the kids as unfortunately likely to be lost unless something comes up.

Agreed that you can't mess with the mouse trips! 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.