Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

moaortiz
Explorer C

I have travel funds that will expire in october and I have no plans of going anywhere right now. They were used to buy nonrefundable tickets previously but then I cancelled the flights and now have the travel funds. Is there any way to get them refunded for cash back? Is there any situation they would refund it? It would be helpful to pay off loans and fees for college. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Travel Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hello.

I am unaware of Southwest refunding travel funds - the exception being the death of the owner of the funds.

SW will allow you to convert travel funds into vouchers that are usable by anyone. The fee is $100 per travel fund and is done after expiration of the fund.

So, if you have multiple travel funds you'll have multiple $100 fees. What you could do is use travel funds to buy a new more expensive ticket. Then cancel that ticket, and you'll have only one travel fund. The limit is three forms of payment to buy one ticket. What do you do if you have 6 travel funds? Use funds A, B, and C  to buy ticket Z. Then  use funds D, E, and F to buy

ticket Y. Then cancel tickets Z and Y and use the funds to buy ticket X which you then cancel.

Doing that you've turned 6 travel funds into one travel fund and one $100 fee.

moaortiz
Explorer C

Would I be able to buy a refundable ticket and then get a refund? I feel like that too big  of a loophole that they must have covered somewhere.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@moaortiz wrote:

Would I be able to buy a refundable ticket and then get a refund? I feel like that too big  of a loophole that they must have covered somewhere.

Sorry, but that would not work. Any ticket you buy with travel funds becomes non refundable.