Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds

CC12345
Explorer C

I rarely travel, and when I do, it is not usually wih southwest. However, my friend was getting married in MX and I purchased a ticked through southwest because they had a sale. Wel the wedding destination was moved and I called SW to see what I could do so that I wouldnt lose my money. I was told that I couldnt get a refund but I would receive a credit in the dollar amount that I spent to be used within the next year. No stipulations were given about this credit so I agreed. Fast forward 6 months and I am finally going to travel again with a companion. I remember I have a credit with southwest so I go to book our flight. When I go to add my travel funds only half of them go towards my final bill. I call SW and the person on the other end of the call informs me that my credit can only cound towards my ticket. Stating my credit is nontransferrable. Now this is the only trip I will be taking this year and my SW credit expires in 3 mos. 

This is so frustrating because when I had to cancel my flight to MX no one mentioned the restrictions associated with my "credit. " SW has told me "you can take another trip before your funds expire" but that would require spending more money for hotels, food, etc. I dont think customer service has been considerate to the fact that I cant just drop everything to "take another trip" so I wont lose my funds. And quite frankly...what is the difference wih me using my funds to purchase 2 seats for one trip vs. purchasing 1 seat on 2 different occasions?

I just do not understand this policy, but I do know that this experience with SW has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am a very dissatisified customer.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A

I'm sorry the policy was not explained well to you on the phone allow my to try and explain  little better 

When a wanna get away ticket is purchased it is refundable for 24 hours after that if you need to cancel the funds would be held as a travel fund for the travelers on the reservation so if your ticket cost $200 and there were 2 of you ($400 total) each of you would have $200 to use for  future trip within 1 year of the original ticket purchase (some think it's from when you cancel but it's not) also when a new ticket is purchased with the credit that new reservation takes the expiration date of the travel fund so if you didn't take that flight as well your expiration date will go back to the original ticket date not a year from the new booking which throws people off as well but that's the way that works. The credit from the canceled ticket can only be used on the person who was ticketed it is non transferable and you can't use all of the credit on 1 of the 2 people each credit is passenger specific even if you paid and not the only person you traveled with. It's also important to note each passenger must complete travel by the expiration date or the credit won't work. One thing to keep in mind is they have this policy because other airlines will charge you to cancel a ticket so this is Southwest's way to get you to come and fly again or you lose the funds. 

Hope this helps

Blake

if this helps and answers your question Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!