Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unused Travel Funds

craftee98
Explorer C

I hope i can ask this question properly.

On 5/26/17 i booked a flight for 166.98 one way, and on 6/6/17 i booked the return flight for 229.00. Each of them had to be cancelled due to geting a new job and not being allowed the time off for the 1st year of employment. 

I am getting ready to book travel to use of the travel funds. My concern is that i have a very sick parent. If i need to cancel this trip again, what happens to my travel funds and will i loose the total amount if i cancel again? Also, if the travel funds are made avaliable to me again, what would end up being the expiration date for the 2nd round of unused funds?

I really hope this makes sence. Thanks for you time!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unused Travel Funds

franktravel
Aviator B

You have one year from the date of original purchase.  if you added new money to a credit and then cancel, the new money takes the expiration date of the travel funds. 

craftee98
Explorer C

could you just clarify:

If the expiration date is 5/26/2018 and i am flying out 3/20/2018 and i end up having to cancel 3/19/2018. Those travel funds from the 3/20/2018 cancelled trip (2nd cancelled trip), would have an expiration date of what??

thanks

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@craftee98 wrote:

could you just clarify:

If the expiration date is 5/26/2018 and i am flying out 3/20/2018 and i end up having to cancel 3/19/2018. Those travel funds from the 3/20/2018 cancelled trip (2nd cancelled trip), would have an expiration date of what??

thanks

The funds would expire 5/26/2018.