Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unused Travel Funds

JRupert99
Explorer C

I just need some clarification.

I puchased some tickets for myself and my wife for Cancun back in Feb. 2018.  After seeing the murder problems occuring in Cancun, we decided to go to Punta Cana instead and received travel funds in the amount of $830 dollars.   Our new package was booked through Southwest Vacations and at the time travel funds were not accepted.  Now these travel funds are being accepted but I cannot go back and use them on my new trip.

So here is my question, I have been told either I can use them within the 12 month on flights through Southwest or through Southwest Vacations.   However, I'd like to use them for next years vacation package through Southwest Vacations after the 12 month period.  I have read that if you let them expire, you can have them reissued for a $100 fee per ticket.  Are they reissued as a voucher or extended for 6 months as a travel fund?  This will determine if I can use them for on Southwest Vacations or not as I cannot find that they take vouchers.   

Also, is it a guarentee that after the travel fund expires they will reissue it?

Thanks in advace,

Jonathon

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Unused Travel Funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JRupert99 wrote:

I just need some clarification.

I puchased some tickets for myself and my wife for Cancun back in Feb. 2018.  After seeing the murder problems occuring in Cancun, we decided to go to Punta Cana instead and received travel funds in the amount of $830 dollars.   Our new package was booked through Southwest Vacations and at the time travel funds were not accepted.  Now these travel funds are being accepted but I cannot go back and use them on my new trip.

So here is my question, I have been told either I can use them within the 12 month on flights through Southwest or through Southwest Vacations.   However, I'd like to use them for next years vacation package through Southwest Vacations after the 12 month period.  I have read that if you let them expire, you can have them reissued for a $100 fee per ticket.  Are they reissued as a voucher or extended for 6 months as a travel fund?  This will determine if I can use them for on Southwest Vacations or not as I cannot find that they take vouchers.  

Also, is it a guarentee that after the travel fund expires they will reissue it?

Thanks in advace,

Jonathon

Southwest Vacations is actually a completely different company (Mark Travel Corporation) doing business under a partner licensing agreement with Southwest Airlines. Their terms and conditions are very different than those of Southwest Airlines.

My understanding is that Travel Funds from a Southwest flight cannot be applied to a package purchase made at Southwest Vacations.

From the Southwest Vacations website:

How do I use my Southwest air credit to book a package?

Air credits are only redeemable directly via Southwest Airlines and apply toward an air purchase only. To redeem your Southwest Airlines air credit, please visit www.southwest.com or call 800-435-9792.

You can use your existing Travel Funds to book new air travel (including taxes and fees) through Southwest Airlines, for the original passengers only, and all travel must be completed by the expiration date (one year from the original date of purchase).

Once travel funds expire, you can contact Customer Relations are request reissue as a voucher. That voucher is usable by anyone, but for only the airfare portion (no taxes or fees), and only at Southwest Airlines. The fee is currently $100 per ticket/person. You have six months following expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher will be valid for six months from the date of issue. This is an unpublished policy, so it's subject to change at any time. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and while it's not guaranteed currently denials are rare.

Hope this helps.

JRupert99
Explorer C

CHGOFLYER,

Thanks for the response, however Southwest Vacations does accept unused travel credits from Southwest.  I do understand they are a separate company, however they did send out an email to me stating this I believe back in April/May.  I have tried finding information regarding this on both Southwest and Southwests sites, however it is almost impossible to find.  I have copied from Southwest Vacations below.

Use Southwest Unused Ticketless Travel Funds

Have unused ticketless travel funds from a canceled Southwest Airlines flight? You can use them as a form of payment toward your Southwest Vacations package. All you need is your confirmation number from your previous trip. Yep, it’s that easy.

To see this, go to Southwest .com and click on the Vacations link, and then on the bottom of vacations there is a "Why book with us" link.  It will show you this on the right hand side of the page.    I have also contacted Southwest Vacations to confirm and gone through their site to the payment section.  Its not the easiest to find, but its there.  You can use up to two unused credits, sometimes the middle names throw it off, but I was able to use both of my credits and have it show up instantly.  

Needless to say though you answered my question about the voucher/travel fund.  Looks like I will just have to use the funds this year somehow.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Interesting! That must be a relatively recent change, and apparently they've updated parts of their website but not all of it. Thanks for the info!