Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unused travel funds

mezaal63
Explorer C

Due to Hurricane Mathew a cruise we had planned and flight to get to Florida had to be canceled.  How can I use my credit?  I am not sure when the flight expires and what happens if I need to book a flight after the expiration date.  The cruise was for Oct and I am sure I purchased the travel months in advance but I need to fly in October.  Due to the weather we shouldn't be penalized when the hurricane canceled our plans.  It isn't possible to take vacation other than certain times of the year.  How can I get assistance or an exception if it has expired.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Unused travel funds

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

To use credit from a canceled flight you would first need the confirmation number from the flight which you canceled.

you then can call southwest  go online and go through the booking process and on the payment screen will see a place to apply travel funds there you will enter your confirmation number and first and last name on the confirmation number it should then apply note the booking date of the original canceled flight you had will be the expiration date of this ticket so if you booked that ticket in May of 2016 you have until May of this year to use those funds and complete travel compared to if you booked with no credits you would have a year from the date in which you book. Also the name(s) of the people on the canceled reservation have the credit and it can't be transferred so they must fly and if the reservation you book is say $70 and you old reservation was $100 the remainder of $30 will stay with that old confirmation number and the expiration date will remain the same.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance feel free to let me know or you can call southwest reservations at 800-435-9792

hope this helps!

Blake 

Re: Unused travel funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, the funds won't help you if you need to fly in October again, as they'll be expired before then. I'm not sure if Southwest made any accommodations for Hurricane Matthew, but your best bet is to contact Customer Relations at 1-855-234-4654 (not the main reservations number) and explain the situation. If they aren't able to give you any consideration due to the hurricane, they may still be able to reissue the funds as a voucher (minus a $100 per person fee). Good luck.