Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using Credits

smithlarrye
Explorer C

Can someone explain to me why it is not possible to use my airline credits ( i had to cancel a flight last year because of health reasons) to purchase a ticket for my wife?  It's not like I am selling my credits to a friend or someone else...I am talking about my spouse.  What is the reasoning behind this?  I really don't understand.  I will not be able to use the credits myself before they expire.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Using Credits

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@smithlarrye wrote:

Can someone explain to me why it is not possible to use my airline credits ( i had to cancel a flight last year because of health reasons) to purchase a ticket for my wife?  It's not like I am selling my credits to a friend or someone else...I am talking about my spouse.  What is the reasoning behind this?  I really don't understand.  I will not be able to use the credits myself before they expire.  Thanks!

Credits (travel funds) are useable for one year from the date of the original purchase of the ticket by the person whose name was on the original ticket.

So, if the funds are over a year old or if you are trying to use the funds to buy a ticket for a second person, then the system will not allow you to proceed.

Since this is a customer to customer forum, no one here can fix your problem. If you think you should be able to use the funds, click on "contact us" at the bottom left of this page, and then pick your method of contacting the airline on the upper left side of the ensuing page.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel funds, credit from a cancelled or changed flight, can only be used by the original traveler. Other airlines would charge a name change fee for someone else to be able to use the credit, Southwest just doesn't allow it. If you truly won't be able to use the funds before they expire, you may be able to get them reinstated as a voucher, but you have to wait until they expire and there's usually a $100 fee to do this. 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@smithlarrye wrote:

Southwest stopped allowing travel funds to be used by anyone (other than the original traveler) in 2011, presumably as a revenue-retaining measure.

FYI: Once the funds expire, you can request reissue as a voucher that is usable by anyone (but that won't cover the taxes/fees portion, only the actual airfare). The fee for this is $100 (currently). You have 6 months from expiration in which to make the request and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from date of issue. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but are seldom denied.