Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Using Travel Funds

MOSontheGO
Explorer C

I just booked a flight for my son, and forgot to apply my travel funds.  Can I still do that?  If so, how?  I paid with a credit card.

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

You have 24hr from time of purchase to get a full refund to you credit card.  You can call or do it from your Rapid Rewards Account.  If you cancel from you account, make sure you choose refund to credit card!!!! not hold for credit...

Good Luck!!!

Aveshudhaipal
Explorer C
Hi I am trying to use my travel funds but when I click on book a flight it send me to main page and going further it asks for the full ticket amount. I can't see the funds getting adjusted anywhere.

Cindzz05
Explorer C

I have 2 separate questions

#1 travels funds must be purchased before the expiration date, the travel date does not matter correct? My travels funds expire in May but I can book a flight anytime as long as just purchased prior to exp. Date?

#2 my travels funds is 3 people on it however, we do not all want to book at the same time is that ok? One person wants to use it to go to NY another person wants to use for Vegas does that matter?

When I tried booking my flight separately online it would not allow my travels funds to apply but it will pop up and I'm frustrated.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Travel must be completed by the expiration date, not just booked.

Funds are only usable by the originally named passenger(s). Your best bet is to call and ask how the funds are divided anong the three of you.

reneerose
Explorer A

So if my $49.50 expires Sept 18  2018 and I book a flight to L.A. for May 2019, even though I want to fly in May 2019, it won't let me do that and I'm forced to fly to L.A. by Sept 18, 2018??  Why does Southwest make it so hard for people to use unused travel funds for a rental car?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@reneerose wrote:

So if my $49.50 expires Sept 18  2018 and I book a flight to L.A. for May 2019, even though I want to fly in May 2019, it won't let me do that and I'm forced to fly to L.A. by Sept 18, 2018??  Why does Southwest make it so hard for people to use unused travel funds for a rental car?

Sounds like you really have 2 questions.

To the first: Yes -- travel must be completed prior to expiration. The system won't even let you book a flight scheduled after your funds expire.

On the second: You originally paid the funds to Southwest in exchange for air travel. They then limit your reuse of those funds to only air travel on Southwest. Southwest doesn't rent cars. 😉

Keep in mind that on most other carriers you wouldn't even have travel funds to use, and that if you did, change fees would eat up those funds.

quianauia
Explorer C

Can I give my unused travel funds to a family member or friend?

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@quianauia here is the wording on the "Check Travel Funds" web page:

"Travel funds from unused or canceled flight reservations have to be used by the originally ticketed passengeron those reservations. That means your Southwest travel funds are all yours (sorry, Mom)."

Customer | Home airport DCA

ShareJoyCreativ
Explorer C

I didn't realize I needed to use the travel funds for a flight that occurs before expiration date. I thought it was just booking. Could I buy a flight that is before the expiration date and then cancel the new flight and get the funds back to use just a few months later?