Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using cancelled flight funds

1SmoothRider
Explorer C

Hello! Here's my story:

I had unused travel funds from July. When I took a trip in September I could not locate the funds, it kept coming back wrong info or something. Similar to what others have been posting so I'm assuming it was a glitch in the system. Regardless I had to make the trip so I paid the fare without using my funds. Fast foward to now. I purchased a flight to Nassau on Sept 27, & viola! woudn't you know it I found my unused funds of $67!  Of course I applied it to the fare. 

Due to Hurricane Matthew the trip to Nassau was cancelled by my sponsors which resulted in me cancelling this flight. Problem is the funds expire April 1, 2017 although I purchased the flight on Sept 27, 2016. Only the $67 is set to expire on April 1. I thought all funds were good for one year from date of purchase, therefore the $460 should be good until Sept 26, 2017 correct? 

Please advise on what I need to do to correct this & thanks for the advice!

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Using cancelled flight funds

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Keep track of the last conformation number that you canceled.  All the available funds are now linked to that reservation number.  All of the funds that you used to purchase that ticket will have their own experation dates i.e. from the date of original purchase.  Any new funds (credit card) will expire from the date of purchase.

Good luck.

1SmoothRider
Explorer C

When I cancelled the flight it gave April 1, 2017 as the expiration date for the whole amount of the unused funds  although I purchased the flight Sept 2016. I'm going to try to call Southwest, I just thought I would try here first. But thank you for your answer.

1SmoothRider
Explorer C

Unfortunately this is not the case if you apply unused travel funds. It also is not fair as this is not disclosed to you until AFTER you apply them. It would be nice to add a pop up box or something to make you aware at least then you will have the option to make a informed decision. 

qb
Explorer C

Well I just got shafted out of $1031 by SW. I had booked travel for my sister and my nephew to go on a vacation with me in July. They have had to cancel.

I had no pre-purchase indication that the travel funds when canceled had to be used in THEIR NAMES. This really sucks SW.

WHY does this even matter? I paid using my SW Chase card and it should be my travel funds.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Southwest made travel funds non-transferrable in 2011.

When you select the flights, but before you enter the names, the fare details are displayed, which notes that travel funds are non-transferrable (no name changes allowed).

2.png

The email confirmation sent after purchase also spells out the rules:

Valid only on Southwest Airlines. All travel involving funds from this Confirmation Number must be completed by the expiration date. Unused travel funds may only be applied toward the purchase of future travel for the individual named on the ticket. Any changes to this itinerary may result in a fare increase. Failure to cancel reservations for a Wanna Get Away fare segment at least 10 minutes prior to travel will result in the forfeiture of all remaining unused funds.

Mawgaw
Explorer C

I feel your pain. I'm going thru the same thing. I think I should be refunded to the card I used to purchase the ticket. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mawgaw wrote:

I feel your pain. I'm going thru the same thing. I think I should be refunded to the card I used to purchase the ticket. 

You can buy a refundable ticket on Southwest, and it will be refundable to your card.

If you buy a non-refundable ticket, then it is by definition non-refundable -- just like American, Delta, United, Spirit, et all.. 

The difference is that Southwest will let you use ALL OF THE VALUE of your non-refundable ticket, while American Delta, United et all will subtract somewhere around $200, and then you can use what's left.

You choose whether the ticket you buy is refundable or not.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Be aware that you also choose if your ticket remains refundable or not.

"Fully refundable" fares on Southwest become non-refundable if you make any change to the itinerary at any time.

Never change, always cancel and rebook any "refundable" fares, in order to keep them refundable. 

Mawgaw
Explorer C

They need to change this refund policy