Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Using cancelled flight funds

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @1SmoothRider,

Whenever funds are combined, they take on the earliest expiration date, so April 1 is now the expiration date for all the funds on your ticket. Fortunately, we've got so many great destinations and a robust flight schedule, I'm confident you'll be able to use those funds before then. 

1SmoothRider
Explorer C

I wish I'd known that BEFORE I booked because I would not have used the $67 yet. What if something happens & I cannot get off from my job again before April 1? So now I stand to lose $460?  What if I can't use the whole $589 if I do get to go somewhere? I have plans to travel next year but the bulk of my travels wont be until after April 1 because of the way my vacation days are. This is the first time I am upset with Southwest. 

Penysu
Explorer C

Lindsey,  

Why are these funds not posted to our account and also the date we need to use them by, so we will be reminded when we need to use them by?  I like SW and always check their fares first, however it seems like it's not available to us because the company is hoping we will forget about the unused funds and not use them...in all honesty.  Why can these not be added by IT to our online accounts?  I would not think it would be that difficult.

LindseyD

Hi @Penysu,

This idea has been brought up before, and while we don't have immediate plans add a tracking feature to the Rapid Rewards Account page, I can offer you a few ideas that might be helpful. 

1) Google Calendar - I like to put my confirmation numbers on my Google Calendar. I include the amount and the expiration date, and set reminders to use them every six months or so.

2) Notes - Most smart phones have a "notes" feature," where you can start a new note, title it "Travel Funds" and keep a running inventory of your confirmation numbers and expiration dates. 

I hope these help. We most definitely want you to be able to take full advantage of your travel funds. 

ddleslie
Explorer C

I completely agree.  It seems like SWA makes it extremely difficult to utilize travel funds.  I always have to do a search just to bring it up then hunt down the original confirmation number.  SWA website makes everything else so easy, but this sooooo difficult.  It's my only frustration with SWA!

DelMarGirl
Explorer C

I didn't know this was a new policy until this month when I decided to book a flight and use up some old travel funds. I used $3 in travel funds towards purchasing a new ticket that cost $213. Unfortunately, two weeks after I booked the flights, my fiancee passed away I had to cancel the trip. Guess what? Now I have to forfeit the $210 that I just paid by credit card because the $3 expires in March 2017, rather than January 2018 as expected. I want to use these travel funds to go see my fiancee's family, but it will expire before I can go.

Sorry Southwest, this is a terrible policy and is actually quite sneaky. I didn't get a message during checkout that all the travel funds would have the soonest expiration date until the confirmation came via email. I was shocked. And by then, it was obviously too late to do anything about it.

It's really not that difficult to give people what they pay for--just let all the travel funds expire a year after purchase, no matter if they're from different confirmation numbers. I mean, it's not a loss for you SWA--those funds are earning interest in your bank account, afterall, AND you get to keep them at year's end whether you provide a service or not.

I've only flown Southwest for the last 17 years, but the great freedom Southwest used to provide is getting replaced by policies too arduous to have to sift through. I already pleaded my case to 2 representatives--over the phone and via mail--and no resolution. Two thumbs down on this policy. 

LindseyD

Hi @DelMarGirl,

Have you contacted our Customer Relations Department? There are occasions where we're able to make an exception based on extenuating circumstances. You can reach them here: 1-855-234-4654.

matisoff
Explorer C

my wife and i booked a flight with two different confirmation numbers, can i now use the funds to book us together on a different flight with the same confirmation number? if so how do i do it? thanks david

LindseyD

Hi @matisoff,

Travel funds can be used for one year from the original date of purchase, for the person to whom they originally belonged. In other words, you can use your own funds to rebook a trip for yourself, and you can use your wife's funds to rebook a trip for her. 

Happy Traveling!

DelMarGirl
Explorer C

Thank you for the suggestion. I did contact SWA on the number you provided, but they did not make an exeption for my extenuating circumstances.