Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using cancelled flight funds

ellind
Explorer C

HI, 

Am I able to use travel funds from a cancelled flight that is not mine? I have family visiting from out of country, but since I don't see an insurance option for flights, I was wondering if I could use their canceled travel funds, should something happen and they are unable to travel. 

I know I can use my own, but I wasn't sure if it has a restriction if the cancelled flight is not under my name. 

Thanks 

Ellind

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Using cancelled flight funds

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

No, travel funds are only valid for the original passenger(s). Southwest used to allow anyone to use the funds, but stopped that several years ago.

Southwest doesn't sell travel insurance but you may be able to get it from a 3rd party. Other options include booking refundable fares (Anytime of Business Select), or using points to make the bookings (points are simply redeposited into the original account upon cancellation). Hope this helps!

Trenalyn_1
Explorer C

Good morning ,  I was told back in April that I could cancel my flight online due to the lady dying .. Yes ,  I was a little fearful at the time .  I now want to use my money that was left to make a trip to see my family due to serious illness.  Please contact me to resolve this issue today..  Thanks

dfwskier
Aviator A

Good morning.

This forum is not run by SW employees. If you'd like to have someone at SW contact you to resolve your issue(s), you'll need to call the airline.

To use travel funds from your cancelled flight you will need to know your confirmation number, AND travel within one year of the date you bought the original ticket, AN D

book the flight with the same name as was on the original ticket. That's all there is to it.

To do so online, just select your flight, and when you get to the payment method, select travel funds, and input your confirmation number and the name of the person on the original ticket.

Note travel funds are only useable by the person whose name was on  the original ticket.