Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using cancelled flight funds

TrishtheDish81
Explorer C

Hello,

I cancelled a flight. I now have credit I want to use toward another flight. However, when it asks for my confirmation number (of the flight I cancelled) it tells me I have no scheduled flight.

I'm realizing I should have just rescheduled the flight, not cancelled it first. How do I reconcile this.

I want to use my cancelled flight $ amount toward new booking. Help!

Thanks

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Using cancelled flight funds

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

Go and book your next flight and on the enter travel info page it will ask you to apply travel funds. all you do is put in the cancelled conformation # and the funds will be applied

TrishtheDish81
Explorer C

Hi franktravel. Thanks for your response.

This is what I've been trying to do. When I get to the section "Do you want to apply travel funds" I fill out all the info, confirmation number (of cancelled flight) and first and last name. Then I get the message "Confirmation Number and/or Passenger Name incorrect." I've been copying and pasting confirmation number and I'm spelling my name correctly 😉

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Tricia

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @TrishtheDish81,

Are you making the new reservation for yourself? Travel funds must stay with the person to whom they originally belong. Also, what is the expiration date of your funds? If you are attempting to book a new flight that will take place after the expiration date of the funds, it will not let you apply them. 

Vroda6442
Explorer C

If you used your cancelled flight funds for a future flight and had to cancel again - can you use the WHOLE amount of the recent cancelled flt to book another flt OR do you forfeit the the funds of the applied funds of the first cancellation if the future booking is beyond the one year expiration of the first cancelled flight? To illustrate : cancelled booking was Nov 8 2015 for $150 - rebooked and applied cancelled funds for $198 flight on Sept.30, 2016 - had to cancel again --- 🤔do you forfeit the $150 or can you apply the whole $198 as unused funds if you rebook after Nov 8. Appreciate an immediate reply - thank you very much for your kind help.🤗

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Vroda6442,

You can apply the entire amount of your funds to a new flight, as long as travel is completed by the expiration date of the funds. 

brperez01
Explorer C

Hello. I just tried to use my cancelled flight credit to another flight. A portion of my credit is set to expire in Nov. I called customer service last night and was told to call customer relations this morning and they should be able to help me extend it or use it then. I did, they told me whenever credits are combined, they take on the earliest experation date. I was not aware of that. Is this information correct? I have called again to customer service and they continue to tell me i should be able to use it for my Dec 10th flight. I would completely understand if the first portion would expire in nov but why would the newer one expire in nov as well being that i just purchased that ticket 2 days ago. I would appreciate any help.

Swohk
Explorer C

Hi

Can you explain further if the travel funds were used to purchase ticket to travel on 9/20/2017 before original expiration date say 9/30/2017 but then you had to cancel. What is the expiration date of the travel funds? Is it still 9/30/2017 or does it get a new date of 9/20/2018.

Thanks

Fcorin1348
Explorer C

Swohk - Did you ever get an answer to this question:

"Hi

Can you explain further if the travel funds were used to purchase ticket to travel on 9/20/2017 before original expiration date say 9/30/2017 but then you had to cancel. What is the expiration date of the travel funds? Is it still 9/30/2017 or does it get a new date of 9/20/2018.

Thanks"

Thanks!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Fcorin1348 wrote:

Swohk - Did you ever get an answer to this question:

"Hi

Thanks"

Thanks!

The answer to that question has always been the same. I'll use different dates to make sure everyone understands.

If one buys a ticket on 1/1/2018 and then cancels the flight, then the travel funds must be used (new travel MUST be completed) by 1/1/2019/

If that ticket bought on 1/1/18 is cancelled and then the funds are used to buy a new ticket on7/31/18 amd then that ticket is cancelled, then the expiration date remains 1/1/2019

If that ticket bought on 1/1/2018 is cancelled and then is used in combionation with $200 more to buy a new ticket and then that ticket is cancelled, then the expiration date remains 1/1/2019 -- even for the $200 that was added.

Expiration daes is ALWAYS one year from the OLDEST date of travel funds used in a new reservation. Again, ALL TRAVEL must be completed by that expiration date.