Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Vape pen for CBD oil

mamaluvzherboyz
Explorer C

My husband has multiple sclerosis. Because he has bad leg pain, the vapes CDB oil. There is not THC in it and it does not require a medical card to purchase it. What is the policy for bringing on the oil and vape pen? Does it go along the lines of the e-cig guidelines, which I can't seem to find anywhere either? He would not be using it on the plane. We just dont want it damaged in a checked or carry on bag in an above bin. He usually keeps it in his pocket.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Vape pen for CBD oil

franktravel
Aviator B

Here is some information you may want to read  http://bit.ly/2HY4sdI

franktravel
Aviator B

This is from the Southwest Airlines website. 

Electronic Cigarettes (E-Cigs) or Vaporizers

Because these articles are designed to operate by creating heat, they must be transported in one of the following ways:
The battery can remain installed but must be placed in carryon baggage or carried on your person only. The item cannot be used onboard the aircraft.
Spare batteries must be protected from short circuit and carried in carryon baggage or on your person only.

JusticeWiley
Explorer C

I've heard that you can carry CBD vapes on a plane nowadays.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@JusticeWiley wrote:

I've heard that you can carry CBD vapes on a plane nowadays.

Vaping devices and e-cigarettes should only be placed in carryon baggage, not checked. As CBD remains illegal on the federal level whether or not it can pass through TSA screening depends on the amount of THC in oil. You can find TSA's policy here:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'd suggest a call to Southwest to get a specific answer.  You have a non-prescription device that does help your husband's condition, but it is also forbidden from being used on the plane.

While you won't be using the device, I would suggest getting a clear answer.  I believe that the advice of storing the battery separate is the best answer.

vitekastrid
Explorer C

In terms of traveling with it, it's always a bit of a gray area, isn't it? Generally, CBD oil without THC is often treated more like a supplement than a controlled substance, but it's always a good idea to check with the specific airline and airport guidelines.

And you're right, keeping it in your carry-on could help prevent any potential damage. The rules can be a bit confusing, but it's awesome that you're being considerate about it. Safe travels!

By the way, have you or your husband found any other interesting methods for cannabis consumption that have been helpful?

floridaguy
Aviator C

The moment that you come on an airport it is Federal law.  Federal law does not allow for use and therefore you may be arrested if caught.