Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Want a Get Away Flight

lvanroo
Explorer C

I purchased a one way from RI to Austin ticket for the I want to get away price to have my son move in with me. The weather in RI this coming friday is to be blizzard like conditions. I know the ticket is non-refundable, are there any options for me?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Want a Get Away Flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

While you can't get cash back for the ticket, you can cancel it and use the value of the ticket towards the purchase of a future flight. You can cancel the ticket online or on the phone, make sure you keep the confirmation number of the purchased ticket, you'll need that to apply the credit towards a future flight. You must complete future travel (not just book) within one year of the original purchase date. If you purchased EarlyBird Check-In that is not refundable.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Don't cancel just yet. Keep checking the Southwest website. If they issue a Travel Advisory that covers RI you'll be able to change your flight to another within 14 days (same cities) for no additional cost. If they ultimately cancel your flight, you can receive a full refund, including EarlyBird Check-In if purchased. If they don't cancel the flight, remember to cancel it yourself at least 10 minutes prior to departure to receive travel funds good towards future travel, as described by TheMiddleSeat above.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Good call @chgoflyer the travel advisory is out.

@lvanroo take a look at https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_2018021514920487552.html

If you want to reschedule your trip instead of canceling.