Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Website access

Greeffs
Explorer C

I am a dedicated Southwest traveller and am currently in South africa on contract.

I cannot access the southwest.com website from South Africa as it shows 'access denied' by the server.

Can the IT gurus PLEASE PLEASE fix this problem so i can make my bookings for my domestic travel when i come home....

102 REPLIES 102

Re: Website access

Bec
Explorer A

Your message 'access denied' is more likely to be something blocking specific to your local network (client, hotel, coffee shop, etc.), or even the ISP providing the internet access. I would recommend trying from the southwest app on your cell phone if you can. If that doesn't work, you can always call the 800 number to book.

Edit: 1-800-435-9792 - Reservations number

--Bec

mas925
Explorer C

Hello:

I am in Switzerland and also (still) having this issue on multiple computers (home/office), so I am doubting it is in fact a local IP provider/settings issue.  As I've lived abroad for 15+ years and conduct lots of online business with the US (including with Southvest in previuous years), I must say that I've actually NEVER experienced any similar issue with any other company before (from within or outside of the US).  Did you 100% verify with the Southwest IT department that the issue definitively does NOT stem from your side?

Having to check multiple flights/dates/times/prices on my phone or call the 1-800 number (which is not free of charge from outside the US!) is quite annoying when I would like to simply and easily book directly online myself in real time - i.e. standard consumer practice in 2016.

Thanks for quick feedback and finally fixing this issue!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Greeffs and @mas925,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble accessing our site. We've been made aware that some Customers outside of North America are experiencing trouble with Southwest.com, and we are working hard to resolve this issue.  In the meantime, we'd be happy to help you via Twitter or Facebook or you can call 1-800-435-9792.

RobMoore1704
Explorer C

I am having the same problem from a specific proxy server in EMEA. This server is used by all our customer service reps. How can I get this resolved?

It is only affecting users using this specific proxy server, it works from all other proxies.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hey @RobMoore1704,

Apologies, I know that's frustrating. See my above response for more information. 

In summary, we know that there are some folks outside the US that are having difficulty reaching Southwest.com, and we're hard at work to fix it. Hope to have the functionality restored sooner than later. In the meantime, you can always reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter for booking assistance. 

RobMoore1704
Explorer C

Lindsey,

Not  a very satisfying answer. Looking at this thread it goes back several months. I represent a rather large travel company and this is having an impact on my ability to service my customers. Is there a tech support group that I can speak to and open a ticket with? This is only happening from one proxy server. How can you fix it if you don't have the details of the problem.

timothybanks
Explorer C

I've also had this problem in Singapore, going back several months.  At the time we thought it was a change by Southwest to restrict access from overseas, perhaps for security reasons, as we could connect to the website when we built a VPN into the States.  Due to the inability to access Southwest outside of the VPN (which we had borrowed for the test), we've been forced to use United for our travel on visits to the States --- which is a complete shame as we like Southwest and used the airline on our visits to see family Stateside.

waaren
Explorer C

This is the answer just posted, but it is the same post that was posted years ago.  Why can Southwest not resolve the problem or do they not want to?

I am in Norway and I want to book a ticket on Southwest now before I come to the States and I get the following message.

I understand this problem has been going on for years.  Is there a way to book a flight on line with Southwest at their official site or not?

Waaren

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/flight/subscription/cns-email-subscribe.html?" on this server.

Reference #18.659fef50.1483565869.29037c97

KHansen
Explorer C

I cannot access the Southwest website from any computer saying that I cannot access from 

my server. I'm in Hong Kong. I called Southwest & was told it was my computer's problem, so 

I had somebody attempt to fix it. It turns out that the problem is Southwest's website denying

access to overseas locations. This is really a nuisance,and I find it unbelieveable that Southwest is 

not making more of an attempt to fix it.