Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Website access

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As posted earlier:

Unfortunately, Southwest blocks access from outside the US. 😞 They say it's an issue they are working on, but it's been this way for going on three years now. Even the most inept IT department (and Southwest's is -- sadly -- in the running) could resolve this issue within that time frame if they wanted to. Reps will just tell you to call, as if international long distance wasn't expensive (even before factoring in lengthy hold times). Your best bet is to try another carrier -- one that actually wants your business. If you must fly Southwest, try using the Southwest app, or accessing the website via VPN or proxy server (google for more info). Good luck.

warrenw
Explorer C

I'm having the same problem on only one computer on my home network. I can access it from others. I checked both Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.  Maddening.

gs3
Explorer C

Have been traveling in Asia for the last month and unable to access the site all that time. I am now in Europe and still unable to access and get the same "not authorized" message. This has been going on for three years now?  It reflects very poorly on Southwest. I find it inexcusable.

kitopito
Explorer C

Funny I can access this community site but not the southwest.com to buy tickets.  Southwest, if you do not want people to access your website from outside of the US please just tell us and please stop pretending that you are trying to fix this issue.  I haven't been able to access your website from outside of the US for years and was told that you are working on this before. 

jwillitstx
Explorer C

This isn't just a foreign issue.  I'm in Dallas Texas.  I never have access unless I turn off my VPN.  It's a mainstream normal run-of-the-mill VPN that everyone should be using (mine is PIA - Private Internet Access)

It's insane that an airline demands you turn off your secure access to access their site where you're using credit cards etc.  It's like saying "Hey, let's let everyone else around see all your sensitve info".

This is just backwards thinking.  Some low level IT guy convinced them to block unkown access at some point because of Russia and Pakistan and Uzbekiwhwerever, and I get that.  But they're blocking mainstream best-practices access from the US and for normal international users, not just Stealyourcardistan.

Foxxbexone
Explorer C

both, my husband and I (Non-US customers from Berlin, Germany) can't log in to our RR accounts anymore and (what I think is even worse) see our booked flights in the app. We cannot call the 1-800 number from Germany, so I wrote a messenger mail to Southwest. Got a fast response, but no solution for our problem yet.

Using the app for two years now, it's disappointing and confusing for us, last summer it worked without any problems, I think problems started around january this year.... need to use it in July/ August this year!!!!

Tving
Explorer C

Hello,

Trying to book a flight from Sweden, tried several computers, just get the same answer that ACCESS IS DENIED. Absolutely incredible way to run a business like this for years.

This can not be involuntary from the airline.

dfwskier
Aviator A

earlier in the thread chgoflyer had this suggestion:

"

-- Access the website using a proxy server. There are many free ones available online.

-- Try using the Southwest app on your cell carrier's network (not your internet provider)."

Another person suggested using your phone as a hotspot and then acessing the hotspot with your tablet/notebook.

If you have web based phone service (ie no charge to place calls), another suggestion would be to call the airline.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

FYI, the app work-around is no longer viable. Using a VPN or proxy server is really your only option for access at this point. 

Tving
Explorer C

Why is this thread listed as "solved"?

The airline must be in total denial.