Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Website access

Greyfax1
Explorer C

I disagree. This looks more like a shun list that is purposely blocking overseas IP addresses. I'm in England and have tried from the phone, on the internet with different carriers and still am receiving the access denied message. I can't even access from the mobile app or even the email that was sent as a reminder to check in.  As several other folks have pointed out this has been an issue for a couple of years, and looks to be entirely an IT issue. We do the same at my company for certain overseas areas, but manage the list very closely (easier for us as we don't do business outside the US). So I will be boarding a 10 hour flight, and can't check in for my next flight. BTW, not simple to call a number from outside the US, depending on where you are. I have no service, so the call is going to cost me at least $10 from my cell. (Besides my cell service doesn't seem to work well in Europe-had the same issue last year in Spain).  If that were the case, why can I access this community site to post this reply? If I click any of the links at the top of the page, they don't work. Has nothing to do with my browser. I've tried Safari, IE, Firefox, Chrome, same response. Southwest needs to look at their firewalls. 

JMBaker
Explorer B

I was having this exact same problem from Sweden for several months. "Access denied. You don't have permission to access http://www.southwest.com... on this server".  It didn't help changing computers, browsers, trying to access it from home or work. Nothing helped. Even the the iPhone App would not work from Sweden.   Until... I started using a VPN on my Macbook, which "tricked" the southwest webservers into thinking I was located in the USA (Atlanta GA).  Now I can access the southwest website without any problems.  

I suggest trying to use a VPN software to get around this problem. Obviously, SW airlines has major problems with their IT systems--having this type of problem for so long should have caused heads to roll in the IT department!  

/Jeff from Stockholm

FYI: I use Avast Security antivirus and VPN on a Macbook pro.  The AntiVirus is free, and the VPN has a 7-day free trial.  www.avast.com. Works on windows, linux and Mac. Give it a try. 

audreysen
Explorer C

It is ridiculous that this problem has gone on for so long without proper resolution.  Suggesting to call the US on an 800 number is just naive, since anyone outside the US is not going to be incurring the costs that incurs on a regular basis.  You don't even offer a local US number to call, which is usual for international companies.

I have teenage children at school in the US and I live in Switzerland.  I frequently have to book flights for them and the mobile app does not allow me to book.  It redirects me to the website as they are classified as Young Travelers.

I don't understand why this is not a top priority as you are surely losing business.

This is nothing to do with my local server.  I have tried to access the site from various locaions, and on a number of different devices.  I have also asked all my Facebook friends to see if they can access the site.  NONE of them could..

What is your solution?  I can't even go to the Contact page as it says that I do not have permission to access this site on the server.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's perplexing that any technology team wouldn't be able to enact a fix within a period of a year. This would seem to indicate that either 1) there is no desire to actually fix the problem, or 2) Southwest's IT team is inept.

Since they keep promising that they are "working on a fix," lets take them at their word and assume it's reason #2. ;(

Have you considered other carriers?

bryanl
Explorer C

I have tried using the Southwest.com site from Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and the Netherlands. Didn't work in any of them. Doesn't seem to work in any country outside of the USA.  It has been like this for a year. So I just fly United instead.

Seems absolutely crazy that Southwest doesn't mind not being able to do business with customers outside the USA, but there you go...

joelfreak
Explorer C

It seems the Southwest website access is blocked to anyone who is outside the US. I am in Taiwan and it has always been blocked (10 years). I added a free VPN to my laptop (Tunnelbear) and was able to access the Southwest website and my Yahoo email which also blocked me sending an access code to my US cellphone and a now closed email. YEAH!

rzwilling
Explorer C

Hi there, I'm a Companion Pass / A-List Preferred WN traveler on honeymoon in Bali.  I believe they transition to their new IT system on May 9th, so here's to hoping this international access denial is removed with the new system.  

I wish we had a more forthright response from the Southwest moderators on this forum... 

txgravel
Explorer C

I live in Norway and would like to book tickets on Southwest during a visit to the US later this year but received the error message:

"Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/" on this server."

I never have issues with accessing websites from other US airlines from here and I'm not going to go through the hassle of setting up a proxy server just to purchase these flights.ds

Maxmamax
Explorer C

We've been discussed the issue for a year. What's the problem on Southwest? Anybody can real solve the issue from SW? It's really ridiculous.

bubblelynn
Explorer C

I have the same issue accessing from Taiwan...is the website down?