Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Website access

JMBaker
Explorer B

Lindsey,

I was having this exact same problem from Sweden for several months. "Access denied. You don't have permission to access http://www.southwest.com... on this server".  It didn't help changing computers, browsers, trying to access it from home or work. Nothing helped. Even the the iPhone App would not work from Sweden.   Until... I started using a VPN on my Macbook, which "tricked" the southwest webservers into thinking I was located in the USA (Atlanta GA).  Now I can access the southwest website without any problems.  

I suggest trying to use a VPN software to get around this problem. Obviously, SW airlines has major problems with their IT systems--having this type of problem for so long should have caused heads to roll in the IT department!  

FYI: I use Avast Security antivirus and VPN on a Macbook pro.  The AntiVirus is free, and the VPN has a 7-day free trial.  Works for Windows, Linux and Mac. Give it a try. 

/Jeff from Stockholm

GeoSun
Explorer C

Thank you Jeff for your post. I am in Switzerland and your suggestion below worked.

I am pasting Jeff's advice below just for you who have similar problem. Have pleasant flight.

"Lindsey,

I was having this exact same problem from Sweden for several months. "Access denied. You don't have permission to access http://www.southwest.com... on this server".  It didn't help changing computers, browsers, trying to access it from home or work. Nothing helped. Even the the iPhone App would not work from Sweden.   Until... I started using a VPN on my Macbook, which "tricked" the southwest webservers into thinking I was located in the USA (Atlanta GA).  Now I can access the southwest website without any problems.  

I suggest trying to use a VPN software to get around this problem. Obviously, SW airlines has major problems with their IT systems--having this type of problem for so long should have caused heads to roll in the IT department!  

FYI: I use Avast Security antivirus and VPN on a Macbook pro.  The AntiVirus is free, and the VPN has a 7-day free trial.  Works for Windows, Linux and Mac. Give it a try. 

/Jeff from Stockholm"

schouli
Explorer C

Look like someone did not work hard enough to fix the issue -->>>

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/html/specialoffers/air-offers.html?" on this server.
Reference #18.c5411002.1546984662.b1ae17a9

Think 2 years should been ample time to work with European carriers to fix this. FYI - I am using a prepared Vodaphone data-sim - so not being blocked by a hotel etc,.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@schouli wrote:

Look like someone did not work hard enough to fix the issue -->>>

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.southwest.com/html/specialoffers/air-offers.html?" on this server.
Reference #18.c5411002.1546984662.b1ae17a9

Think 2 years should been ample time to work with European carriers to fix this. FYI - I am using a prepared Vodaphone data-sim - so not being blocked by a hotel etc,.

Unfortunately, the issue isn't actually being worked on at all. 😞

southwest web access outside us.jpg

lckoglin
Explorer C

I am on vacation in Austraila. I am trying to book flight for my employess, yet the SW site is not allowing me to access this?  Why ?  

I book 3-10 flight a week.  

Cannotbook
Explorer C

Cannot book from South Africa for well over a year now

When is this going to be fixed up

I reported it to the Call Centre - treated very politely, they said they will look into it, etc etc - I see many people have complained about it - yet nothing is fixed perhaps a year later

Does the CEO of South West know that this is a problem?

elysiacb
Explorer C

I am in the Netherlands and having the same problem accessing any part of the website except for this community page. Message: Access Denied. I downloaded the app, but it will not let me register there ("unknown error"). How can I check in for my flight on Wednesday? I will not be in the US until I land at SFO 4 hours before this flight's departure time.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

HI @elysiacb

I'm so sorry - we're aware that there are countries outside the US that are having difficulty accessing our website. We've notified our IT Department, and they working on a fix. In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm so sorry - we're aware that there are countries outside the US that are having difficulty accessing our website.

That's not how the internet works.

TokyoJimu
Explorer C

Sorry, but by default the internet doesn't know national boundaries. Any site works from anywhere unless specifically blocked. So Southwest has definitely decided to block overseas access. I can't imagine how much money they lose by doing this. Several thousand dollars a year just from me. It must add up to tens of millions. And Southwest is the one airline that can't be booked on third-party sites. So frustrating!