Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: What constitutes "oversize" luggage?

bakerczirr
Explorer C

are you kidding me you include the wheels?  The measurements on the tag when purchasing the luggage does not include wheels.  It was under 62 inches so I bought it  when I got home i measured and with wheels it is 1and 1/2 inch larger.  I called Southwest and they said wheels don't count.  So do they or don't count?

dspadajr
Explorer C

I have a bicycle box that is 50x17x33 and weighs about 70lbs.   What would the Excess Fee be for this to check?

Thanks

franktravel
Aviator B

Weight and Size Allowance

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs.  Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sports Equipment - Special Items

The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

• Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hardsided case larger than 62 inches in total dimensions will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or softsided cases will be transported as subject to limited release items. 

Stacey1515
Explorer C

Hi i have a question my luggage is 24 inch but with the wheels is 25 and a  half, do you think it can still fit in the overhead cabin? Is because my luggage is so fragile that im scare to send down the airplane and the luggage broke.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Stacey1515 wrote:

Hi i have a question my luggage is 24 inch but with the wheels is 25 and a  half, do you think it can still fit in the overhead cabin? Is because my luggage is so fragile that im scare to send down the airplane and the luggage broke.

That should be ok, the policy says "Carryon items are limited to one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item. Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10 x 16 x 24 inches."

Yours should be close enough to fit. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Stacey1515 wrote:

If you have successfully taken it as carry-on for other airlines, it most likely would fit on Southwest's airplanes.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MFlyer
Explorer C

Got this reply from someone answering the Southwest Facebook page:

"Hey there, and thanks for taking the time to follow-up. I was able to reach out to our Network Operations Control (NOC) Team, and they advised that wheels are included in the dimensions. Sorry for any confusion! -Jeni"

"Hi there! That's correct. You should include the wheels when measuring your suitcases. Please let us know if you have any other questions! -Grayson"

Alicgmood10
Explorer C

Oh, @MFlyer thank you! I'm just choosing a suitcase and i was looking for this question)

By the way, what do you think about these suitcases? I need some medium for me and some dog things.