Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

What’s your favorite brand of carry-on roller boards?

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I’m looking for a new roller board to carry on my flights for work. I travel often, so wear and tear is inevitable. What is your recommendation of brand?  Thanks so much! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion
4 REPLIES 4

Re: What’s your favorite brand of carry-on roller boards?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Briggs and Riley, expensive but has a great warranty. Frequently seen amongst the business traveler crowd.

--TheMiddleSeat

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I noticed a lot of flight crews using Travelpro so I bought one of their carry-on bags five years ago. It has held up well.

/www.travelpro.com

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

I noticed a lot of flight crews using Travelpro so I bought one of their carry-on bags five years ago. It has held up well.

/www.travelpro.com

I've noticed this also and have been intrigued to consider one of these. I do sometimes check my bag, so I wasn't sure where the flight crew luggage seems to be in great condition, but probably also is rarely checked.

I'll check out @TheMiddleSeat's recommendation as well. 

I also am a Costco member so I'm curious if anyone has purchased one of their options and liked them. Some Kirkland stuff is a slam dunk, and other items are cheaper in both cost and quality.

I have been using an "embark" suitcase for seven years, it was from Target as one of their exlusive brands and although cheap it has been an amazing bag for me. The handle gave out at the 4.5 year timeframe so I had a warranty repair. The bearing seems to be going out of one wheel now that it is out of warranty so I'm shopping as well.

My preference is for an orange suitcase, so that seemed to limit some of the brands which are only black/gray combos. For the perfect piece I'll forgo the orange though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I've used a High Sierra rolling duffle bag the last few years, and have been happy. No signs of

early onset wear that I can detects and it's probably been on a hundred flights at this point. The potential downside is that it is a bit less wide than a standard roller suitcase. Also it's pretty cheap to buy.

My view is that how the wheels are attached is important.  I'd stay away from spinners as the wheels stick out from the sutcase, and reduce the allowable volume of  the bag (carry on rules measure size of the bag. If the wheels stick out that counts in the measure). I strongly prefer suitcases where there are only two wheels that are incorporated into the body of the bag.