Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When can I book a flight?

thunderchaser
Explorer C

I am currently planning a trip to Disneyworld from Australia - 

Our current plans are for November 3 to november 17 but have been waiting for the release of Southwest flights for the dates I need before I can finalise the order in which I will travel

When is it usual for flights to be available to book? 

Is LAX the best airport to travel from to go to MCO ? Or should I  also look at Burbank or SNA?

We also hope to go to LAS Vegas for a few days are there direct flights on Southwest to LAS from MCO? 

I would prefer the most direct and cheapest flights available - 

Thank You  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: When can I book a flight?

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello

From the southwest website: We are currently accepting air reservations through November 3, 2018. On May 31, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through January 6, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

in regards to travel to MCO I would recommend going from LAX or SAN (San Diego) I have flown on a non stop from SAN and it has been great usually cheap and only about 4.5 hours on the way to Orlando. LAX doesn't usually have a non stop flight that I have seen but it does have one two or three stop no plane changes which would mean you just stay on the plane but keep in mind you may be on the plane for a really long time if you choose one of the two or three stop no changes and if there isn't a lot of time between the stops you may not be able to use an airport bathroom or get food for hours so I would pack snacks for that long of a flight and prepare to be on a plane for a while. If the only options are two stop or three stop no change or a layover I would pick the layover just so I can not be on a plane for so long but that's just me. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

thunderchaser
Explorer C

Thank You Blake - thats a big help  - our other plans are to also visit Las Vegas and thank you for the advice on the long flight and direct from Sandiego might look into spending a few days there 🙂 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@thunderchaser Glad I was able to help!

If you could Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Thanks 

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Hello

If the only options are two stop or three stop no change or a layover I would pick the layover just so I can not be on a plane for so long but that's just me. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

That might be an attractive option only if any of the layovers are really short - minimizing the number of times you change is good for luggage, but harder on people!

My preference would be if any of the layover alternatives are between 1.5 and 2.5 hours maybe it will be worthwhile to get out, stretch, grab some food - espcially if you can manage it at a desirable airport like DEN, LAS, DAL where there are local restaurants to choose from. (STL...nope, SAN is too crowded, SFO too much weather risk with fog). MSP is a nice relaxing terminal with few but high quality options...but way out of your way to go to Orlando, hopefully that's not one!

If the layover is less than an hour then you might as well take the no plane change option, it's riskier for any delays, luggage transfer, and you may not get to stretch for very long.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There are currently non-stop Southwest flights from Las Vegas to Orlando, and based on the high volume of tourist travel between those cities I would expect those non-stops will still be offered in the November schedule. You don't specify where you are coming from when arriving in California or Las Vegas, but you can get to Las Vegas on Southwest from all the airports that have been mentioned. If you can avoid LAX I would suggest you do, it's horribly crowded and other airports in the area are much easier to get in and out of. My personal favorite is Burbank for the Los Angeles area. San Diego is a decent airport too and definitely a great city to visit, less crowded than LA, good beaches (although probably not nearly as nice as Australia), good Mexican food, and fun places to see such as the zoo and Sea World.  Don't plan on driving to LA if you are in San Diego  or vice versa, the commute between those areas is pretty horrendous.

If you'd like more help, post some more information about your plans, where you're coming from, etc

--TheMiddleSeat