Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When to book

Lindar10
Explorer C

Hi,

I'm trying to get a good deal on a flight for 12/28/17-1/4/18 and everything I read online says to do it 8-12 weeks out but when I look at the Southwest website the good prices for the Wanna Get Away deals are sold out. Will there be other deals coming up or am I just out of luck? I really want to travel Southwest but am thinking about going with another airline that has a decent price now because it looks like all SW deals are gone.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: When to book

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Earlier is better for Southwest.

If the trip did become lower priced after you purchased it, you can change your ticket to the lower fare although the extra money will be held in a voucher for Wanna Get Away fares.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Earlier is better for Southwest.

If the trip did become lower priced after you purchased it, you can change your ticket to the lower fare although the extra money will be held in a voucher for Wanna Get Away fares.

Just to be clear: If the fare drops after booking, you can change/rebook to the lower fare and the difference will be held as Travel Funds (not a voucher) that can be applied to any new fare (not just Wanna Get Away) but only for the same passenger as originally booked. Those funds expire one year from the original date of purchase (all travel must be completed by then).

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Lindar10 wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to get a good deal on a flight for 12/28/17-1/4/18 and everything I read online says to do it 8-12 weeks out but when I look at the Southwest website the good prices for the Wanna Get Away deals are sold out. Will there be other deals coming up or am I just out of luck? I really want to travel Southwest but am thinking about going with another airline that has a decent price now because it looks like all SW deals are gone.

The holidays are very busy times for air travel, so I wouldn't expect WGA fares to come back, although it is remotely possible.

In general, the "sweet spot" for Southwest fares during non-peak travel times is 8-10 weeks out. Fares are high when the schedule is first release, tend to drop at about 3 months out, and then get increasingly higher as departure approaches. (Doesn't apply to major holiday travel periods.)

That said, Southwest's revenue management system changes fare prices very frequently, so it pays to check often. Many of the adjustments seem to make no sense, and it's possible to find good fares last minute.

In your situation, you could book a refundable fare now and then cancel/rebook should a WGA fare show up later. (Actually, you would first book the new fare and then immediately cancel the refundable one, to ensure you get the WGA fare. And you'll want to never make any changes to the refundable fare since that would cause you to lose refundability.) You'd get a full refund of the refundable fare, although that can take some time and your cash would be tied up for a while.

ChicagoPinx
Explorer C

Can you rebook at a lower fare and get a voucher if you pruchased your ticket with points?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you've booked with points, you can change to a lower fare and will receive the points difference back into your account.